Which is Tougher

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I am putting an edger with about 4 hours of sun next to a cement patio edge.

Daytime temps in the summer average is in the upper 90's and night time summer average lows are 68 to 72.

Winter temp highs for daytime are around 40 degrees with lows around 22 degrees. It can get colder of course. Those are averages.

This area gets an average rainfall of 45 inches.

We get lots of humidity.

Zone 6b-could probably go to zone 7 as it is near the patio for winter warmth.

Soil is amended clay.

I am looking at:
1. Campanula portenschlagiana. From my research, it seems to be the best choice for this area.

2. Aubrieta hybida 'Whitewalll Gem'.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

We don't experience your weather conditions here, needless to say, but Campanula portenschlagiana is indestructible across a wide range of conditions as well as being considered somewhat invasive. (This latter characteristic is more of a consideration in rock gardens, where it is often quickly too much of a good thing.)
Aubrieta hybrids and cultivars are not as tough, in my experience here.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

When I hear the word "invasive", I don't walk, I run fast the other way. So, I am afraid to take chances on that one.

I know nothing about Campanulas other than I think they are beautiful. I have been looking at Bluestone Perennials because I think it's informative. They have two others that I "think" my work. I would like your opinion on these:
1. C. porcharskyana

2. C. cochlearifolia

3. OR do you have another suggestion?

4. Or do you think I should go with C. portschlagiana?

Thank you for responding to my thread.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Well, I'm a big fan of Campanula, though I do avoid the more invasive ones!
C. cochlearifolia is also one of the spready ones, like C. portenschlagiana. C. poscharskyana is supposed to be less vigorous but still spreading (I don't believe I've grown this one which must mean I never came cross it in the stores here... Though it is widely grown).
If you really want to avoid any that might spread, you might consider tap-rooted species, e.g. C. carpatica... ?

This message was edited Jan 21, 2013 7:52 PM

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks alta, I have picked some fairly "tough" Campanulas, I think. I have never had any Campanulas even though, I love the way they look and would like to grow some. I worry that my hot, humid climate will just "melt" campanulas. So, that is why I picked the above mentioned. On the other hand, man, I don't want to plant a nuisance.
I want these plants to grow around stepping stones and hang over a terraced paver wall. I would put these plants in the area/s that have shade.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Birder17, did you go with a Campanula? Which one? I have one that's great but I can't remember which one it is! It spreads but not too fast and is easy to remove.
I just wanted to mention that in my 6b climate, which has cooler temps and lower humidity in the summer than you do, Aubrieta is carefree except for a haircut after blooming, non-invasive, and stays in bloom a long, long time. It blooms earlier than the campanula. If you ever feel like trying it, I'd love to know how it behaves for you.
Pics are taken today. On left are aubrieta, pic on right is campanula.

Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady
somewhere, PA

I'm zone 6b and love aubretia!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

momlady,
I am sorry I have not answered your question. MANY times this website does not show me follow up responses from the thread I replied on. I often miss out on follow ups. It's hit and miss. I have mentioned this to administrators with no help. I just happened onto this thread while searching for something else.

I chose the Campanula poscharyskyana 'Blue Waterfall'. I have it in good drainage with mostly shade. It has returned but has spread very little, if any. It bloomed last year, hasn't bloomed as of yet this year. It's a little early to bloom here. I probably need to move it into an area that gets a little more sun. I was concerned the plant would melt in our heat and humidity.

I also have Aubrieta 'Cascade Purple'. I started it from seed about four years ago. It's slowly spreading. I really like the very early spring bloom. It's so welcome when very little is going on bloom wise in my gardens. It has such a bright perky color-so spring like. It is still blooming. Let's see, that's about 8 weeks of flower power! The soft grey leaves make a lovely back drop. It's not 'cascading'. It is spreading. So far, it's been very well behaved.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.