Best fruit or vegetable for small spaces?

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I have about a 4 foot space that I would like to plant a fruit or vegetable plant, it's against a fence. It gets bright light and also shade, soil is more on the moist side but drains well. Any ideas?

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

What zone are you in, and what type of soil(acid or alkaline, or neutral)? Which way does your fence face: north, south, east, or west?

I'd say plant what you really like to eat :0)

Zone 7a, not sure of soil

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Keith,
The minute you said 4 foot square I thought square foot garden. You can grow up to 12 bean plants in a square foot. About the same number of lettuces in a square foot. Lots of green onions can be grown in a square foot, and if you plant a 1 bush, cherry or grape tomato in (the latter 2 trained up^) you have salad.

Veggies like sun more than shade and need a 6 good hours of sunlight at least. If your soil is moist all the time make sure its not mucky. No veggie thrives in muck and you would want to lighten up the soil with some pine bark fines (very small pine bark, not huge chunks, sometimes sold as a soil amendment), course sand, chopped up oak leaves, perlite etc. Organic matter that creates a lighter and airy atmosphere for good healthy roots.

Good luck and Happy gardening!

I just mean square shaped, not square foot as in measurements ha ha. Like 4 feet wide, 4 feet long. What about a single eggplant?

The soil isn't soggy it's where a tree was dug out recently and your foot sinks if you step in the soil, so I'd like to fill in the space. It's good nutrients mixed in.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Better yet! You have 16 square feet. I wasn't thinking was I?...Ha!
1 eggplant can grow in 2 of those square feet and you can plant eggplants 2 feet apart so you could have more then 1! Some plant eggplants closer, but mine tend to bush out a lot and I like to do 2 feet between them so they can be comfortable...

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

zone 7 rules out a tangerine or lemon tree, but you could do a pineapple guava bush. They have gorgeous flowers and wonderful fruit

You could also do a salsa garden: tomatoes in back, peppers & cilantro in front

Great thanks for the help! I think one eggplant and one small tomato plant variety sound good!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.