Container question

Coushatta, LA

I have heard that growing tomatoes in containers greatly reduces yields. I plan on growing some in fifteen and twentyfive gallon pots. Any truth to what I have heard?

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

In that large size I think you could do great- I'm not too experienced with containers, but hopefully "Gymgirl" with come to your aid.

Coushatta, LA

Thanks for your imput. I plan on fillining the pots with compost and soiless mix.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

You should be fine with 10+ gal. containers. Many people (even I have tried it) do it with smaller containers. There is another current thread about dwarf tomatoes, where quite a few people use 5 gal. containers or grow bags and have reported good results.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1294083/

This message was edited Jan 19, 2013 10:50 AM

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Howdy. Whatcha growing (which varieties of tomatoes)?

It's gonna take an AWFUL lot of soil-less mix to fill those big containers. I've used a homemade recipe from Tapla (Al, over on the Soils and Compost thread), to accommodate the need for large amounts of container mix. It saved me a lot of $$$$. I filled ~sixty 6.5 and 5.0 gallon buckets.

So, I'll need to know the scale of what your container tomato patch will be, and have an idea of the size you expect your plants will be, e.g., tiny cherries, tangerine size patio?, gynormous beefsteaks?

Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.