Etiquette for Rescuing Plants?

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

I was in Lowes last weekend and saw someone cleaning up the outside gardens. They were throwing anything that looked dead into a big trash bin. I know some of the plants were perennials that would start growing again in the spring (hostas, mums, etc...). Unfortunately, I was too chicken to ask "If you are going to throw those away, could I look through and rescue any plants that I think I can save?"

What is the proper etiquette for this? I'm sure some of you have experience! I am not terribly bold, so I could use your advice.

I did stop at Oakland Nursery this weekend, and I picked up mums in 1 gallon pots for $1.00/mum. I did this several years ago in the late autumn, and most of the mums came back the next spring. I was very pleased with that bargain; now I just have to find time to plant them!

This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!