Gesneriad seed growers

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

The hybridizer Dale Martins wrote,if you tickle the roots of your seedling ever two weeks the plantlets will grow faster.She is so right!

First picture the the babies were lifted up one time and left to grow on there own.

Second picture the seedling was transplant into it's own pot and lifted every 2 weeks.Huge difference.

Jan

Thumbnail by jannich Thumbnail by jannich
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Wow,what a difference! I think Bonnie does that too.
Lynn

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

I do that too thanks to Sister Jan telling me about it...it really does make a difference :)

Connie

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

sure does make a difference,fast growing plantlets == flowers sooner.LOL

Williston, ND

yes ive done it from time to time,i had some episcias i did that with,and they matured faster and grew faster then the ones i left alone,

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi Jim! Episcia's too,amazing.there going to love where you live.I was wondering if it would work with other plants as well.I'll be starting some perennial Columbine seeds this week.Think I'll give them a try to when they sprout.

Jan

Williston, ND

it should work with any plant

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

How interesting! I did not know this!
Even though I read Dale's hybridizing notes, I guess I didn't realize the true purpose of lifting the seedlings!

Karen

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

It DOES work for other babies too :) After Sister Jan told me about this I read something Dale had written on it. I believe she said it helped add oxygen to the roots.

Connie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.