Hope you have a great day Patti!

Thumbnail by pixie62560
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Happy birthday!!!

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Happiest of birthdays, dear!!!

Thomaston, CT

May this be the best birthday ever, Patti!

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Patti I hope it's wonderful!!

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
South Hamilton, MA

A very happy birthday.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday Patti!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Happy Birthday salvos from out here in the wet wild Ohio River valley!

May all your Winterberry Hollies be fruitful...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

And may all your gardens flourish. Happy Birthday, Patti

Thumbnail by RosemaryK Thumbnail by RosemaryK Thumbnail by RosemaryK
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

You all are so kind to this old gal, 68. I had a flu relapse so spent another day in bed doing nothing. My computer went on the blink, which was beyond unfair on my B-day. DH fixed it by noon and then he made me a beautiful souffle for dinner. So at least that was a fine treat.

That Hippeastrum is a fav as is that Narcissus. And you all know that I love lilies. I covet that poppy, which is a plant that I sadly always manage on killing. My winter berries have mostly been eaten already. They have had a rough go with the deer, but the Hamamelis that all got moved to behind the deer fencing are doing very nicely, except one which one of our dear dogs chewed on. It is very short now and I was rather short of temper when I discovered her enjoying breaking off all it's branches. She did proudly show them to me.

Thanks again for the well wishes, I just need some wellness now. Patti

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Whoa - just made it! Sorry, no,pics as I am on the ipad. Hope you had a great day, great lady! You deserve it.

Cannot seem to go but a few hours without hearing about someone I know with the flu!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday Patti

Thumbnail by ge1836
Thomaston, CT

Hope you are better today, Patti....Jo, love those alliums!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Happy Birthday, Patti! sorry I'm late, hope you are felling better.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

happy b-day patti - and hope you are over that flu

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Happy Belated Patti.. So sorry I missed it

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks all, I got a belated gift today. Our first snow drops are out. I was so excited with my DH's news that I got out of the sick bed and went out in my PJ's to see them. I may even get dressed and take a walk about to see what else is stirring. Patti

Best therapy!

I've got seedling Hamamelis vernalis in full bloom - fragrant even in the driving rain...

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

So where is our eye candy? I you are a candy maker. Patti

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I just went outside and did a quick look at some of ours. Fat buds on many and Diane is showing a touch of red. I will need to do a better check with my list in hand. I know two gotten eaten to the ground before I move them, but they are throwing up new growth, however it will be a few years if they make it back before we see any winter color from them. A couple we have are fall bloomers so they are done. Patti

Aphrodite
Champlin Red
Diane
Harvest moon
Jelena
Magic Fire
Mohonk Red
Pallida
Rochester
Rubin
Sunburst
Wisley Supreme
H. vernalis

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

is that all you have? :)

Nice, vv.

Thomaston, CT

Take some photos when they're blooming, Patti.....

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I just went out again and must have been in a flu stupor yesterday as Hamamelis mollis Wisley Supreme is in full bloom. Photo later when I down load them! Yippee. Patti

Nice!

OK - I beat Patti to the punch. Finally got a sunny day...

This is the seedling Vernal Witchhazel.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

My only other Hamamelis with open flowers is 'Wisley Supreme' - and barely so.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Very nice, vv. Really like the seedling.

Do you like persistent marcescent foliage?

Or will you accept that, to have some nice fall color?

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

I love fall color so I can tolerate leaves that don't want to leave. Kind of like in-laws.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I don't love seeing the dead leaves on the Hamamelis, and yes, Victor, they are kind of like annoying in-laws. I went out and picked most of the lingering leaves off of Hamamelis x intermedia Sunburst so they won't be there when it opens soon, though I see it opened in mid March last year. It seems to be the one with the most marcescent foliage on the ones we have. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Thomaston, CT

Thought about getting a witch hazel, bought a camellia instead.....

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Robindog, I keep thinking about planting a hardy camellia on Nantucket as I have seen a couple in sheltered spots in town that are stunning. I keep thinking of where it might make and not still sure. Maybe I will follow your lead and take a chance this spring on one. Patti

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Yayy! the camellias are beginning to take root. I do tend to think the hardy camellias that bloom around now might be among the riskier ones because the buds can perish in a deep freeze, but I have two of those types of seedlings anyway.

I've been picking the dead foliage off my witch hazels too, but its possible because they are still young. They are still short enough that something ( a pony sized dog?) in my yard is nibbling the blossoms or else brushing them off. Still, VV's examples are terrific!

Hope Patti has a camellia as a birthday present!

Thumbnail by RosemaryK
Thomaston, CT

The camellia I ordered is hardy to zone 6....it also begins blooming in Sept. That's why I chose that variety....that said, the catalog said it must be protected from the winter sun, and I'm not sure where that would be in my yard.....

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I think the biggest worry in winter for a camellia is if the early morning sun hits it and makes the stems burst because of the sudden temperature change. I have also read that the plants become more tolerant of temperature changes once they are at least three years old.

Thomaston, CT

Good to know Rosemary.....I'll try to wrap it next winter....

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I'll let you know how well my camellias and the spring bloomers' buds survive this cold snap.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.