YOUR THOUGHTS RE PARTITIONING A HARD DRIVE.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi.

The situation: I have a friend who had a major problem with his old computer. He went to a Big Box store, where they quickly proceeded to sell him a brand-new computer. My friend was running Windows XP. He still has his old hard disk. The new system runs Windows 7 and has 1TB of memory on it, 70% of which is unused. My friend is elderly and is truly miserable since he had to change over from Windows XP to Windows 7. The new computer is working fine, but the new operating system is making his life very difficult. He still has his old hard drive and his Windows XP disks that came with the old computer. In a word, he wants his Windows XP back badly.

To help him, I was thinking of partitioning his new 1 TB hard disk to have Windows 7 on one side of the partition and installing Windows XP on the other side of the partition, configuring the computer to boot in Windows XP. Once installed, I could transfer whatever data and programs are recoverable from his old hard drive into the Windows XP partition, so he would be in familiar territory again. We have the equipment to power up the old hard drive and transfer the data into the new computer. I know Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP a long while ago.

The question is: Will it work?

What do you think? Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sylvain.

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!