Does this look like a species?`

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

or maybe a primary cross? A friend has a basket with this Catt. in it and it looks like a species to me. Huge plant, probably 20 flowers or so. Comes from a division from an older woman how had it in her tree for years. I know she doesn't fertilize it, its just out in the elements. I am not going to breed it or anything, just curious.

David

Thumbnail by popper1
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm not good enough to identify a species just by looking at a flower picture. Perhaps Laurel could shed some light on it. I like the bloom and would guess it has at least some Laelia in it.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

David, I stumbled across this one on a search for something else. Looks a bit like yours. It's a native species in Colombia, but may not be the same plant. btw, a picture of the whole plant with your hand or something in the picture for scale might be helpful.

http://fm2.fieldmuseum.org/plantguides/view.asp?chkbox=17289

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

It is about the size of an average hand, unifoliate

David

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

That is a beautiful flower................and 20 blooms!!!!!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

There are a number of Cattleyas and Laelias it resembles. It would probably take a grower of those orchids to nail it. That would not be me when it comes to large species. An identification would require measurements of the leaves, the pseudobulbs and the flowers. It could be C. gaskelliana or any number of hybrids. C. warscewiczii is bifoliate, so it is not that. Very beautiful.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

You could try to get it identified on the Orchidsourceforum. On that forum you will have Orchid breeders and judges looking at this plant, these guys really know their species/hybrids. I am amazed what they can do!

It sure is gorgeous.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

To me it looks like the beautiful Cattleya trianae !!! That was the first species that pop in my head when I saw it. To me it's definitely a species and trianae would be my best bet. It's Colombia's national flower. Always in bloom at this time of the year it would start blooming in December and into early February. Would always be in bloom for my birthday.

Thanks for the input, Roly and Ursula. C. trianae is certainly a possibility. I thought the lip looked incredibly long but there are always variations in species.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Here is a C. trianae grown by one of the best hobby orchid grower that I know of in Brazil.

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

There were actually 24 flowers. Got some history of the plant-originally from Hawaii, spent some time in Penn. and then came down here to central Florida where it grew on an oak for YEARS, we figure thae plant is at least 50 yrs old. My friend got a division about 5 yrs ago, 8 psuedobulbs. I have seen it sitting in the tree many times but first saw the blooms when I went over for New Years and was floored to see it in flower. I can't wait till I get my division!

Here are two more pics. The 1st taken by the owner when it just started bloomig, 2nd I took with the coke can for reference. Flowers were passed their prime at that point.

David

Thumbnail by popper1 Thumbnail by popper1
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

That is an amazing orchid.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

David if you don't mind. I belong to Coallition for Orchid Species. It's an orchid society dedicated to conservation of habitats and preservation of species. I would love to share the pictures with them if you allow me to get ID confirmation but I'm almost sure it's a C. trianae

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

Sure, that would be great Roly. I llve between Tampa and Orlando, moved intoa new place about 5 miles from my old place. My microclimate
went from a 9a/b to a 10b. I know am much closer to a very large lake so can grow Cocos, Spathopedea, and many others, in the old place i would loose lots every winter. I do have a lot ot ultra-tropicals (some very rare), Amherstia, breadfruit, Monodora, that get mad when it gets much below 60, so do need to put up a greenhouse for couple months each year.

Anyways, while I can do a lot of nice growing where I an, i oftern wish I was closer to Miami. Ther are so many more plant growers, societies, etc, that I wish I didnt have to miss out on.

Thanks again for the offer, you can copy the pics from here or i can email them to you, which ever you prefer.

David

I am from Miami and think you are in a great orchid area, Popper. More and more of the S. FL. growers are closing or going wholesale only. Now that the AOS has moved to Fairchild Gardens things might improve. Maybe you can make it to Redland in May.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Hello David !!! I posted in our Facebook species society page and I got yes to Cattleya trianae from great growers and AOS judges. Including our society president/ AOS judge, the vice president of RF Orchids, and the wife of a great horticulturist and Colombian born. According to them it's trianae

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks so much Roly. The plant actually has another sheath getting ready to bloom. I can't wait till I get my division.

David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.