WHATS GOING ON IN YOUR GARDEN 2013

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well indoors and outdoors , ad i am sitting here after dinner thinking about molding some concrete poles have one half made so far, the mold not so much of at this time (Needs to be warmer for that ,me too)

SNOW OUTSIDE
The kitty that just ate the spider plant , notice the bed kitty made of the pot
Romanesco tomato under lights

Yes I have definitely gone to the extreme , ate up, over the top...lol If anybody would of said do you grow anything under lights/ or early . I would of thought madness ...

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Still no snow....

and what is it with cats and spider plants??

I can't have any sort of 'dirt' where the cats are.... I have hanging plants they can't get to, and a few I hide in the basement.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Stopped into to give you big thank you for the thread sometime I am going to have to learn how to do that,,lol
I don't know about the cats but they sure seem to love'em like they were salad ,,
What is left of mine is up higher and hidden , only you and I both know , they will find it...The front porch and warmer weather will remedy that.. my cats will not climb 8 or 9 feet to get the plants.

Thankfully no cats here or I would have to invest heavily in chicken wire.
Still no moisture of any form here either. I heard a stat the other day that we would have to get over 100" of snow to bring us out of the drought. Today started out partly sunny but now it's cloudy. Just wish we would get some snow/sleet/rain. I dread to think what spring is going to be like if we don't get something.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well they say it snowing in parts of Wisconsin , suppose to very lightly tonight and tomorrow here. Maybe the rain later in the week will get to you , if not any of this that is happening now.
Weather maps are showing snow clouds heading your way. Lake effects though, I understand...

They only planted me five days ago? wow was that fast!!!

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Watcha sprouting there? We got about 1/4" of snow - I think that's classified as non-measurable. Hoping for rain now.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Those are the Romanesco tomato seeds I planted, when we were talking(typing really) on the 31 st of Dec
The lettuce I planted later the next day is sprouted and growing too!!! It may of been two days after, I do not keep exact times unless necessary,
It is snowing here right now, tonight through tomorrow 1/2 to 1 inch accumulation . indeed and I growing part a &b of the dinner salad..lol
I like the thread about early tomato starting syndrome on the tomatoes forum that surprised me,I have plenty to do ,just not what I want to it seems .so I keep searching and making more things to do ,,
That would be the winter ho- hum,, drums syndrome maybe?

My lettuce has sprouted too. I think it took 3 or 4 days but all 3 varieties have sprouted. Now if I can practice patience and not start harvesting too early. I think my kale and Swiss chard that I brought in from the summer in pots are about tired out. The reduced sunlight probably doesn't help and I don't have the space or the setup to put those big pots under lights. Funny that the sweet william that I started from seed last spring and planted in with the kale has started blooming. I do have a big bag of chopped kale in the freezer though for adding into meals so it's not too bad to say goodbye to those plants. One more meager harvesting of small leaves will be about it for them. Guess this it about the time I would covet a hoop house.
How do you give your tomato seedlings enough warmth and light? Sounds like they'll be giant plants when they get planted out. I'll have to check out that article on early tomato starting. I do have to restrain myself when it gets close to seed-starting time.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes I have had a few get really large before 3 of 4 feet ,most stay 2 or 3 feet tall until they are hardened off and they grow a little more full. I have that under lights in a big aquarium with a pair of energy efficient bulbs, one regular, one for plants , the long straight ones not the pig tails.
Stays about 80 degrees in there most of the time, no heater, the bulb heat is plenty, and as said it will be more than I care for sliding them in and out of the garage for 2 or 3 months , but what the heck? you get what you work for, at least that is the way it seems with me when it comes to the garden.
Indeed it is nice to have the outdoor frames and devices ,covers and so forth if you have the room , or so on,.
Only time of year I have nothing blooming , have some really stringy looking Cholla trying to grow though,
I planted a Nemisea and might a marigold or two in there with the vegie starts, i would really like to see a flower blooming about now , winter gets a little gray and white , mucky after a few months here.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2013 4:33 PM

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

About 2" of the white stuff here. I really want May tomorrow

cece - Looks like we might get a little late April/early May here by the end of the week. Not that we can do much outdoors with that in the middle of winter. Maybe open the windows a bit. Just hoping for some "spring" rain.
I remember starting tomatoes too early year before last. Not enough light in the gh as I thought. Had a hard time finding enough long stakes for them and it made it a real pain trying to plant them in the ground. I totally understand the urge to sow seeds this time of year. My winter is generally gray and brown since the snow doesn't stay white very long.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well so far Burgess Lemon(1)
Broad Ripple Currant(2)
Farmstead Huge (2)
Pantano Romanesco (3) Tomato seedlings are sprouted and growing.

A Blue Flax(linum perenne) planted last night has sprouted also...zoom!!!! I have some more flowers planted, will post and later.

About all the room I have for seedlings is used and full, I could make use of a light hanger stand.. (a dozen more when done)

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 5:21 PM

Congrats on the seedlings. I just got some seeds ordered earlier this week and they're on their way.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi Cindy We were typing earlier and something was said about Larkspur, How do you grow yours, or have you., mine were fall sown and tiny (only a few that came up)and are under the snow or frozen back to the ground. these plants seem to be difficult, I will look to see them now as weather allows. Had a couple of cute dwarf annual larkspur this past season though
Some say these are super easy ,? I have never truly found that to be so...

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Haven't even got mine ordered. Should get them together and get them out by next Thursday (17th). We're leaving the 18th for New Orleans and will be back on the 21st. They won't arrive before then so I will be safe. I don't dare start anything before March 1st any way or I won't have room for them after being transplanted into slightly bigger pots before putting them out,.

I really need about 5 acres with a big greenhouse. Course I have "big eyes" and small "pocketbook"

I usually start my larkspur in the house since I'm new to winter sowing. I do stratify the seed for 3 to 4 weeks. Somewhere I had read that they do need cooler temps (50?) and darkness to germinate. I don't see why they wouldn't be good candidates to winter sow although they do start tiny and take a while to reach planting-out size - not like fast-growing tomatoes, etc. They can also be a little touchy about transplanting. You could grow them in homemade paper pots and just plop the whole thing in the ground. I would get them in the ground early, especially if we have another warm spring and hot summer. They do like temps on the cooler side.
cece - totally agree with you on the "big pocketbook" wishes. Hope the NOLA trip is for fun. Have been there right around St. Patrick's Day and all of the dogwoods, etc were in bloom. Beautiful break from midwest end-of-winter blues.
I did order some zinnias, snapdragons, dahlia and veggie seeds. Since I'm kinda new at gardening with more sun, I'm experimenting with some die-hard annuals, keeping them on the short side like bedding plants.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Lots of little, not so interesting things going on out there in the garden, First mistake of the year might be the pow wow wild berry Coneflowers from last fall had dried out under glass. The Butterfly bush cuttings next to them all look really good though, good and bad?
Cannot tell about the wild larkspur ,i think that is them that are small ,sitting there, It will be going back to 5 to 9 degrees at the end of the week , so it will still be awhile yet..Daylily seedlings , Foxglove seedlings, All look okay..The stinging nettle and catnip are of course green and getting ready for their spring takeover (all will be assimilated, resistance is futile) Lavender looks okay ,(last years cuttings and replanted)
As the lavender ages it stays silver blue all winter and that looks pretty nice, old plants kind of. I am looking forward to adding more..Next to the drive it stays hot and those seem to do well no matter how hot it gets.(burn your skin and feet hot there) Not much grows tidy where they are at.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

You have stinging nettles on purpose?????? Never knew what it was till this past summer. Saw a strange weed and wanted to get it out and wasn't going for my gloves. Won't do that again, I assure you. Blistered and stinging was enough for me, let me tell you. Go ahead all laugh. I'd never heard of it before. But I do NOW!!!!!!!!

juhur - Is that Borg speak?
I took some cuttings of DD's TN lavender in 2012 and surprisingly have 6 plants for her new place. Three are in the little GH and 3 are toughing it out in my cold frame/holding box in a pot. First time I've ever done lavender since I don't grow it here. Maybe I should now that I have more sun. Also did some butterfly bush for DD as well - those seemed pretty easy to get started.
Only thing I know about nettles are the vague relationship to Lamium and folklore consumption of tea. cece - sad about your experience but sure is a reminder (at least for me) to not pull weeds without gloves. I generally wear gloves because of poison ivy sneak attacks - otherwise, I probably wouldn't.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes a little TV humor there, only it is not as fun when the plants do that. As you know I am not good with potted plant or cuttings,so as to that anything that does well for me I am delighted.
Nice to hear those did well for you and DD ,it is fun to get more plants that way.

I am not as sensitive to nettle burn as i once was, Some orange nettle burned me years ago , it is experience you remember!! After such an encounter you always know what people are talking about when they say dangerous or allergic reaction to a particular plant. Pretty early season leaves and a quiet kind of plant , sits there and awaits viciously as if to say ""gotcha""" !!!
Could be compared to a lesson from teachers with a pointer or a ruler/? Or dear old mom and dad with a belt couldn't it?
It will become one of those years ago things,, that will always be with you!!a little (lol)

I have lemon grass that I cart in and out depending on the season and I get a little itchy from that. Wish I could remember to harvest some for cooking. Duh.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I don't do much with my herbs , i keep some catnip in the freezer, oregano a small amount sometimes in sauces, the nettle tea in some mixes for other plants, the garlic and onions get used all the time , some purslane once in a while..
I use to use many I forgot the mints , often they are used,
Mint teas I really enjoyed as a teenager, bland foods tasted better to me then.There are bunches of medicinal and uses for them, it just takes more energy or motivation than I usually have(lol)
The Sunchokes for the blood sugar, the cantaloupe, or some of the melons for digestion, I am allergic to the antibiotic in Coneflowers.. on and on .....
What is the lemon grass used for a tea additive? I have nut grass and thistle here that can be used also..Lots of odds and ends. The lettuce is still a lot easier though isn't it? lol
Peeling thistle was never one of my favorite pastimes....It does not taste as bad as most might think though Love the herbs it is just that they are a lot of work or concentration....

Have heard of lemon grass tea although I've never made it. I prefer ginger over lemon in tea. Basically, the lemon grass is used in Thai cooking although you can use it in any of the milder oriental dishes. The stalks have to be peeled and chopped fine or left in bigger pieces and removed before serving as they're usually a little tough to chew. They'd probably work well in a tea. It's not a strong lemon flavor like an actual lemon although I'm thinking that plants grown in warmer climates might have a stronger flavor. Right now I'm growing basil (touchy indoors), sage (love sage and brown butter sauce on pasta), parsley (water hogs in a pot), rosemary and oregano (I can never get a strong enough flavor from the plants I grow) in the GH. Also growing patchouli because I like the smell.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My oregano is really strong flavored
The purple basil I brought in during the fall , has died., another crime against plant kind charged to me.... I did get three or four seeds ...
I will have to go look up .patchouli in the plant files...ya got me!!! lol

This message was edited Jan 12, 2013 5:33 PM

Oh - patchouli was one of those scents from the '70's. Lots of potpourris used it, incense, etc.
Basils seem to be pretty touchy when grown indoors. The leaves turn brown and fall off regardless of watering schedule, light, etc. Especially touchy if the plant is older (from summer) and the stems have turned woody. I usually take cuttings in the fall rather than try to bring in older plants.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I haven't been able to save a basil plant indoors to save my soul. I tried for about 5 years and didn't even attempt it this year. My house is too dry and with dh and his aversion to any kind of heat, can get drafty and cold..... Basil make it about a week indoors here.. sigh so sad , as I LOVE fresh basil.

Corning, OH(Zone 6a)

I have Snow Drop buds here in SE Ohio !

No fair with snow drop buds! :) I know spring comes early for you but sheesh!
cece - I wonder if you couldn't make a mini-greenhouse out of a clear soda bottle. Cut it almost in half, punch some holes in the bottom for drainage, plant your basil and keep it near a bright window? Kinda like the winter-sowers do with milk jugs. I wouldn't put it in direct sunlight but maybe near a bright window? Is your kitchen warm enough? I like pesto but never seem to have enough fresh basil for that in the winter. I hate spending almost $5 for bunch of the fresh stuff at the grocery store. If I was smart and planned ahead, I'd make it up in the summer/fall and freeze it.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I was thinking maybe I could keep it the sun room. We run heaters out there at night for the plants I drag back in every fall............. I want to try my seed starting out there this March AND since we closed in the front porch it isn't cold out here at all. But its on the North side of the house so would need to use gro lights year round as It gets absolutely no sun at all............. IDK

After next weekend in New Orleans I can start serious consideration to all that.

I haven't given serious consideration yet to seed-starting. Been catching up on sewing projects that I had to set aside for the holidays. Next week - filling milk jugs with dirt! Yippee!

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

You know, I tried winter sowing for 3 years in a row.................. Nothing ever came of it so I stopped doing it. All I ever got in spring was milk jugs full or dirt. I can fail at some of the easiest stuff.

Remember the first year I tried it. 2007. I was in master gardening classes and was telling the instructor about the winter sowing I had been told about on this site. She laughed at me and said yeah well tell me how that works for you. It didn't................

I'm going to stick with seeds that I know need stratification - mainly perennials. I see from various winter-sown seed lists that some folks will try just about anything. Guess I'm too inexperienced to try winter-sown tomatoes even though some will self-sow. Most of the seeds I'll use are from my collection so no real big expenses other than dirt.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Most of my winter sow efforts have failed also'
If we were not raised growing them to that method, we weren't
I t is easy for many ,,as they always have

I did manage a few poppies last year but most gave up to the warm weather before getting established in the garden.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My efforts are kind of okay in prep , Centurea americana , Guara, blue flax, robinsons red chrysanthemum .are growing okay a few flowers with early tomato plants' Nemisia did not sprout well ,one plant and over it went (later will try again)
My indoor lettuce has mostly died , planted a second try ,
Not bad for me ,
Daylily sprout seedlings all look good ,lost one or two , have many .. I will pic a few here in a while , months to go much more to do...Four pea vines were still alive in the garden outside, the garlic looks beautiful , and the leeks are always a "just there" plant Good to eat though...
I am trying to start some others,, Huckleberry mainly

Wow - you still have live pea vines? I had pulled mine to make room for the squash that never bloomed. Am trying a new variety this season - 'Anton' - and a new kale - 'Winter Red'. I did get some winter sowing done last weekend and now it's mainly keeping an eye on shrub and annual cuttings from last year currently residing in the little heated GH until I start some seeds indoors. No snow here since maybe 1/2" last weekend so the ground is pretty dry.

Hey, hey! Measurable snow came down overnight. 3 to 4". First time this winter, all due to the lake effect "plume" coming straight down Lake Michigan from the north. All of the ground-feeding birds and squirrels are confused. Not contemplating driveway shoveling until this afternoon since I don't want to do it more than once today.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey to you CM5 ; We don't see a lot of birds this year ,have lots if squirrels though,
1 TO 3 of snow in the forecast here , a day or so away though ,, I am watching the possible 50's for next week...
Having a little trouble seeing this ,had a cataract removed ray this morning ,thread stray I know but just wanted to say hi
.. this is all for today can't see well..yet one good eye ,, still looks everything odd....

I forgot , yes four pea vines came up in the fall , last I looked , they were alive and growing , we will see what happens in a month or two.. interesting though ,isnt it?

This message was edited Jan 24, 2013 5:34 PM

Ouch! Hope you recover quickly! Yeah, I saw the upper 40's forecast for the first part of next week along with some rainy weather. Looking forward to that after just coming in from shoveling snow. Wouldn't be so bad if the snow plows didn't form such a ridge of snow at the end of the driveway. I'll just look at the physical exertion as getting in shape for spring.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Cindy the snow plows are famous for that here in my neck of the woods. I haven't shoveled my drive not once where once I was done the snow plow didn't come through and block me me back up In Fact, I have been standing right there when they come through with the biggest Smile on their face while doing it. I swear4 they enjoy it. I really do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.