Dahlias with eyes

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Well, going through bags again only this time I am noting how many of each kind and how many have eyes. I can add a field to my database called "eyes" and then run a report that shows each dahlia type, how many tubers I have and the number with eyes. Tell me this winter isn't driving me nuts. I am sure I can make this into a month long project if I keep adding stuff -- lol. Since I have about 20 more coming in the spring, I need to decide how I want to plant them (in clumps of say three ea clump for maximum impact all the same; mix and match, etc.) I will have to run the report that says when they bloom and how big they are so I don't over run anyone. No choice about grouping as I have about run out of room. Swan River's catalogue came and it was all I could do not to order another 20. I am as bad with these as I was with peonies. Thank heavens they aren't as expensive.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

At least you're checking eyes! I haven't even opened the main bag to see how they're doing yet. I do admire your database.

Still haven't opened the Swan Island catalog but might bring it with me today for the wait at a doctor's office. Better than reading old magazines about skiing when I don't ski.

Athens, PA

Quote from pirl :
At least you're checking eyes! I haven't even opened the main bag to see how they're doing yet. .

This is where I am currently. I have been telling myself that I need to haul my tubers out this weekend to see if anybody needs a good spritzing. We will see how willing the spirit is this weekend. ^_^

I bet you'll do it before me!

Saw all that Swan Island has and two are must haves. Hope I lose the book!

Athens, PA

Arlene

SI emailed the catalog to me. I thought about saving the catalog in my email, but felt that would be too much of a temptation - so I did delete the catalog.

Same here and I deleted it as well. It's just much too tempting to sit and look...and order.

Well, here is a picture of my zip loc bags in the garage, at least those you can see. the rest are tucked back on the bottom shelf. I have a black garbage bag covering them to keep out any light. also here is the database report. that is only page one, page two has the rest. I have another that you can ask for specific dahlias and they have a pictures. Like I said, I am sooooo bored and antsy to start growing things.

Thumbnail by Oberon46 Thumbnail by Oberon46

Oh, I included the names of dahlias that I have coming spring of 2013 so they don't show any information other than name and date. this is a picture of a basic datasheet for my flowers. Some have more information that others. You can't see the 'compartment' lines but the middle is where I keep my notes on each plant -- at least any notes that seems useful to me.

Oh, unless the picture is mine the 'copyright' field is blank. As soon as I can take a picture in my garden I replace the one I 'borrowed' from online and put "My Garden 7-1-10" for example.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 6:49 PM

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Athens, PA

Wow - very nice. It all looks so professionally done.

I have always found this time of year rather difficult regardless. I find I consistently ask myself why I live in the NE.

thanks. It is a nice hobby. No one ever sees the reports but me, well, usually. It is a good mental exercise. You wonder why you live in the NE?? Try Alaska. lol. Probably because it is home for me and I simply can't imagine living anywhere else. Not true really. Oregon and Washington appeal greatly. PNW is an improvement on Alaska, believe me. But we have so much invested here.

I received a price list from The Peony Shop. It is in the Netherlands. Prices are unbelievably low. Lemon Chiffon for $67? Course then there is the issue of freight and the permits to send plant material from there. Probably at least doubles the price, but still...

I was trying to figure how I was going to offer dahlia tubers for which I have extras for postage. I have to finish entering them in my journal so there are pictures and a list. I certainly cannot plant all the tubers that have eyes and to just pitch them??? I couldn't do it.

Athens, PA

They say that is how one ends up with a larger more superior flower, by pinching back the other stems. Not something I can do either. I love it when there are multiple stems and flowers even though the flowers my be smaller.

Oddly enough, I always thought one of the reasons I live in the NE is because of my family and friends. My family members, who are all spread through New England, have also express wishes to move somewhere warmer - my BFF- she said if I retire in the South, she will too. DH already has family in the Carolinas, so not really a stretch to think in that direction.

I'm with Carolyn about pinching.

We have most of our family here and after we investigated other areas we bought here in Southold and intend to remain here. I enjoy winter rest and planning for the gardens and containers. I melt in hot weather so I'm not meant for the South - only Southold!

I actually said I could not "pitch" as in throw away my tubers. Like in the case where I have 11 tubers with 7 having eyes. I don't want to plant 7 of the same dahlia; two or so would be enough. And yes, I really need to pinch the extra eyes. I end up sometimes with one tuber spitting out 5-10 stems. Then I spend all my time trying to pinch them back. Better to get them in the beginning rather than standing on my head in the bush trying to find the extras that amount to suckers.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2013 9:36 AM

Understood. I was just replying to Carolyn.

Pitching is too difficult. Maybe a neighbor/friend/relative/stranger who stops to ask directions, would like some. Otherwise you can offer them for postage but it can be a huge job and not all people pay what's due so I'd advise to check their feedback first before you agree to all your work for nothing more than the postage = hard work for no pay.

Athens, PA

ok - I will bite - what do you have for postage Mary?

How funny! You really made me smile, Carolyn!

We'd all like to know what you have available, Mary, with a photo, height, color (in case it's different from what we see online) and any other information that would be helpful.

I recall something about "...lead us not into temptation.." but I'll try hard not to think about it!

I have added a new status to my journal "Extras". Will finish listing all I have and designate which ones are most likely to be available. Heck, assuming I have enough I would send them now, but I suppose you would like me to continue to 'babysit" the tubers until planting time. lol

Athens, PA

Unfortunately 'babysitting' is part of it. I wouldn't want to take a chance that the package is left out on the porch and the poor things freeze.

No problem. They are happy where they are. Well, some of them are. I average about 3-6 rotten pieces each inspection. Mostly ones that I figured might not make it. the ones left all look pretty robust. And the ones without eyes have stem pieces so I figure they will come up to scratch by spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.