What's blooming and growing...

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy New Year!

I decided to start a new daily pics and chat thread for the new year!
Please share with others your photos, tips, and general chat here!

I'll start off with a few of my Streptocarpus that have been blooming recently....

This one is S. Feathered Silk

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

A few more...

S. DS-Mysticism... changes color over time, from bluish purple to pink
S. DS-Little Furry Arctic Fox
S. Shashenka
S. Wow
S. Geronimo

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

I just got a second shelf set up right before Christmas...
So now my dining room double as my plant room!
:o)

South, TX

Very nice photos!!!

Sanbornton, NH

Very nice pictures!!

Earle

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Just gorgeous Karen! Your stands are beautiful.Mine are a mess LOL.
Lynn

Athens, PA

Gorgeous!

This one just opened for me this morning...
One of my first to go from leaf cutting to bloom! Yay!
Photos I have seen of this one previously cannot do it justice!
Also... the leaf was received from a fellow DGer in trade... thanks Nichole!

S. Watermelon Wine

Athens, PA

A real stunner... I can't imagine it being any more gorgeous than it already is.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Karen you've got some real beauties there !!! I love them all !!! I see another stand in my future alongside with grow lights. This addiction is in full gear again. I need to move the furniture out of the guest bedroom and make it into my plant room.

Williston, ND

wow you got some awesome ones,if you ever decide to sell leaves let me know

JIM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Very Nice Va_Wild_ Rose

I got a shelf like yours 3 or 4 months ago and I need to branch out and buy another. Got lots of babies growing this winter and new leaves with babies also. Loving those variegated ones .

I need to buy another light for the top shelf also. here are a few of mine.

I've played on the computer so much that I burnt my impossible coconut pie I made for dessert tonight. I'm pretty mad at myself for that lol

First single pic is tiger, about to bloom, then Fisherman's paradise. I'm having troubles posting the others, so I'll do it in another post.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Aca's red Ember
Wrangler's dixie celebration

Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Pow wow

I'm having some trouble posting pics here, can't do more than a couple at a time.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

My shelf is crammed, I need to get another so they have room to grow, it's the only place I have right now to put plants, I better hurry up and find another shelf or two lol

Picasso and kandy Kitchen, rooted from leaves.

ma's winter moon baby coming up.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Williston, ND

very nice, i got neptune and amethyst babies,and some other large standards

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

woops, I posted pow wow twice, that pow wow that says dixie's celebration, is actually Pow Wow,

here's Wrangler's dixie celebration

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I noticed that all yours are blooming. I've not got any streps growing, but I'm sure they bloom like the Av's do don't they? I've not got too many blooms, and I have quite a few that are old enough to bloom. Lots of new blooms coming on though. What tricks do you have for getting them to bloom and please feel free to tell me if you see me doing something wrong!! I went into this big time real fast, and i'm winging alot of it.

I also have wood heat in my house, and the Av's dry out fast, especially the ones in the tiny pots. I do have them all in their own room, but I really like the idea of having them in the dining room like you do!!

Great pictures kathy_ann!Do you mind if I ask....are you individually watering them? I didn't see saucers or trays.
Lynn

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

There are saucers, just not on the plant shelves, I have lots of the clear plastic ones .

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Nice blooms Karen! I have a stand in the dining room too (snicker)

Kathy Ann, I knew you grew other plants but didn't know you liked gessies. Great :)

Connie

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have always had Av's but not an abundance of them, My grandmother (I guess) has passed her love of them on to me. She grew some beauties in her time. Not sure who got them all when she passed.

Very nice kathy_ann! Thanks for sharing some of your photos! I bought my two shelves about five years ago, but I was only using one with lights until just before Christmas. My mature streps really spread out and I needed more room! The center two shelves are for showing off the bigger, blooming streps. The top two shelves are my nursery... with a lot of leaves down right now, and some smaller baby streps. Trying to get some stock up for Spring trades!

Our apt tends to be dry in winter and I am trying to decide how to add humidity around the plants. I really don't want to wrap the shelves with plastic!

Karen

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Kathy_ann I've got one of those racks myself. Although mine is only 4 shelves. I need to get one with more shelves and figure out how to add a light to the top shelf. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them here.
Karen why not used the trays with pebbles at the bottom. This has been my method for a couple of years now and seems to work well for all of the AVs and by the way Karen; where can I get S. Shashenka and S. Wow !!! They are absolutely stunning !!! All beautiful but those are show stoppers.

Williston, ND

neils streps has wow for 9 on ebay,and i think you have shashenka misspelled and if you do i ihave a spare leaf.. i want her artic fox and her first one ds mystisim

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

yes, I need to figure out how to put a light on the top shelf too, waste not want not lol

Homestead, FL(Zone 10a)

So here is what is blooming for me today:
1. Canterbury Surprise with variegated leaves, first bloom.
2. Neil's Osage
3. Neil's McIntyre
My streps had been struggling throughout the summer months under flourescent lights in my garage but I think it was too hot for them. Now that I have moved them inside the house where it is cooler and under natural light on an east window, they seem to have begun to flourish.
Chiqui

Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313
Homestead, FL(Zone 10a)

And here are some AV's blooming for me today:
1. Van Gogh
2. Sport of Rebel's Splatter Kake - this one has very large blooms
3. Rebel's Splatter Kake
4. The last photo is Buckeye Claret Wine
Chiqui

Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313

Roly0217... I can probably share a leaf of Wow in Spring. My Sashenka I just tore back down to start again so it will be a while.

Jim... LOL... I'm spread pretty thin for demand on Little Furry Arctic Fox right now, but give me some time, OK? I can probably get a leaf from Mysticism in Spring.

I ordered three directly from Pavel Enikeeva at Demitris in the Ukraine last Spring. I really wanted Little Furry Arctic Fox and that was the only way I was going to get it. I also got DS-Little Plushy Arctic Fox and DS-Glamourous Night but they are very slow growers! I have several DS varieties and several of Piotr's (Wow's hybridizer in Poland). Sa'shenka is by another Russian grower whose name escapes me at the moment. Aside from a few true favorites by US growers, I think the Polish and Russian streps are better. They have stronger flower stems, thicker leaves, and larger flowers.

Karen

Williston, ND

no rush, and roly i have the one that karen tore down,get ahold of me

JIM

Beautiful pictures Chiqui! Thank you for sharing.
Lynn

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Nice blooms Chiquib :)

Connie

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Karen you'll be hearing from me come Spring for the Wow leaf. I looked at neil's streps and didn't find it.
Jim you'll be hearing from me soon.
Thank you both !!!!

Williston, ND

email him he has it,,

Homestead, FL(Zone 10a)

Here are some of my minis and semi-minis. The ones is bloom are Rob's Vanilla Trail, Midget Silver Fox, Rob's Humpty Doo, Rob's Sailor Bill & Baby White.

Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313 Thumbnail by chiquib313
Williston, ND

sweet

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

They look very nice Chiqui !!! Great basket presentation.

Very nice!

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

I love the way you placed them in the basket too!! GORGEOUS!!

Connie

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

oh boy,I've been missing the flower show!!! Awesome pictures everyone thanks for posting.

Jan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.