Happy New Year Orchids in January 2013

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Another year has past and I think it was a good one for our blooms and pictures. Please join us as we push into 2013. We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289528/

I'll start off with these nice photos of Schombodiacrium (Smbdcm) Star of Rio 'Rose' AM/AOS.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

There is a brand new spike on L. anceps V. Vietchiana 'Ft. Caroline' HCC/AOS. I love the form and color.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Two of my Psychopsis orchids are blooming. The first is Psychopsis Mendenhall alba 'Yellow Butterfly' and the second one is Psychopsis mariposa 'Green Valley'. What you cannot tell by the photos is that mariposa 'Green Valley is at least twice the size of the alba.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Slc. India Rose Sherwood is blooming on a new spike.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Laurel's gift of Tetratonia 'Dark Prince' seems happy in the OC and continues to bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Then there is Blc. Phu Lin X B. cucullata still plugging away. I love the color.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Vanda Sinlak X Vanda Bitz's Heartthrob is showing off.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a nice NOID Dendrobium.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Dendrobium Chan Chao is fully open:

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is Wilsonara Red Stars 'Rooster'

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is Enc. atropene, var. alba 'Jim' X Bepi. Bradly's Judy 'Spots'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

One of my Spathoglottis plicatas is blooming.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I was going to post this as a last look at big floofy Blc. Annie Belle but I see it has put up a new spike with two new buds.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

No new thread would be complete without a few dancing ladies. I'm not sure of the name of the yellow one but the other is Onc. Sharry Baby 'Misaki'

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm going to throw you a curve ball here and show you my new bromeliad called Neoregelia 'Cotton Candy'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

An outstanding start to the year, Jim. Thanks for the new thread and all the lovely flowers. (even if one is a brom)

Love your white Spath, and that Den. Chan Chao still reminds me of reindeer . . .

btw, you can upload multiple pictures without using the CTRL, and if you just do them one at a time, they come out in the right order.

Or you can upload all the pictures first using CTRL, then write the captions to fit the order of the pics.

I have nothing much net, but my "opal" Spathoglottis is still opening flowers happily, and my "Red Lady" papaya is confused, blooming in January . .. it is a self-fruitful varitey, btw. (you don't need male and female plants for pollenation)

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 6:55 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I actually have 2 Orchids in bloom and need to download the pics.

Vanda question - how do you keep the roots from drying out? I spritz them a couple times a day & have soaked them occasionally but it seems it is just too dry indoors in the Winter.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

If you mist them twice a day and soak them once a week, I'd say you are a pretty good mom. The only other thing you can do is put pans of water under them or add a humidifier.

Jim

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Nice way to start the year, Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Elaine, it looks like you posted, without comment, a Spathoglottis plicatta and a female papaya tree. What's up?

Yes, I know you can manually work around the scrambled photo problem but it irritates me.

Jim

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Neolauchea pulchella, the flower is about 3/16" across. Lots of buds
Encyclia "octopus" , as my grandson calls it, just keeps on keeping on
Speckles is up to six flowers now
Cym's are in spike, can't wait for them. Also a Paph. and some Onc.

Thumbnail by ted5310 Thumbnail by ted5310 Thumbnail by ted5310 Thumbnail by ted5310 Thumbnail by ted5310

Well I had a ligh tbulb moment. I had a long clear plastic bag. I misted the roots really well and then put the roots into the bag attaching the bag to the pot. Kind of a mini greenhouse to keep in the humidity but not closed tightly so there will be air circulation.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, Jean, remember air circulation is as important as the moisture.

Ted, you are coming right along. Pretty blooms!

Here is a better picture of Lc. White Spark 'Panda'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Rhynchovola David Sander has open a new bloom:

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Epicattleya (Epc.) Lime Sherbert X Bc. Little Stars has two new spikes with this first one just opening.

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Melanie is hopping mad! Someone went in my orchid house and cut a bloom off my orchid! You know the cattleya I've been waiting forever for? Yesterday it was half open so today I went out to see if it was fully open and instead I found a stem. The cut is too clean for it to be a critter. You can see it in the photo below. Dad is going to Home Depot and get a padlock for the shade house. Sad that I can't trust people to stay off my property and out of my stuff! The sad part is, if someone really wanted it, I probably would've just given it to them. I have two more buds on it, one of which is half open today. I took a picture in case this is all I get to see of it. For the record, it's Rlc. 'Hawaiian Wizard'.

Melanie : (

Thumbnail by mellielong
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

That's a shame. It makes me wonder what kind of a low life would do something like that. I think I will start locking the OC doors as well.

Jim

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Mel, It very well could have been a squirrel, rabbit, mouse...or a human invader, but I've seen squirrels eat the blooms off my Hoya's and leave a super clean "cut"...they are attracted to them for the nectar...Rabbits ate the buds/blooms on several of the Monk's orchids...again it looked like someone cut it with a knife..

But I feel your frustration, something ate the outer petals of my Lc Cariad's Mini Quinee, out in the greenhouse, I now have a deformed bloom.
I'm hoping to get some bloom pics of several orchids blooming in the next few days, just been so super busy I've been cross eyed

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

OO, whoever did it, doesn't that make you crazy! We wait SO long for those blooms.

I agree with Mj, it could have been a squirrel. They "cut" the stems of my mangoes very cleanly with those sharp little teeth.

I had an Odontobrassia for 3 years, and a raccoon broke off the first bloom spike before it had a chance.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I would have guessed a critter too but I think Melanie has a door on her orchid hut.

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I do have a door with a latch up high (to keep kids out) athough I suppose a squirrel could squeeze through the wooden lattice. But I think a critter would've eaten all three blooms and not just the one. When they've eaten my vandas they've eaten all the buds. I'm getting a padlock anyway and then at least I'll know humans can't get in there (unless they use bolt cutters and why would anyone be that determined)?

Melanie

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Well MJ was right. I found the remains of the orchid behind the shade house today. You could see it had been nibbled. There were also two of my vanda blooms out front. : ( Next stop, rat poison! Must have been a small squirrel, or maybe a mouse, to fit through the lattice. I took a picture of the second bloom opening so I can enjoy it in case it disappears.

Melanie (still putting that padlock on, though)

Thumbnail by mellielong
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I'd go get some more screening to put over the lattice, Melanie. OR maybe staple wire or strings between the slats on the lattice to make the holes smaller? Once the squirrels develop a taste for your orchids .. . There's also a scent deterrent spray called "Critter Ridder" that slows them down a lot. (wear a mask when you spray it, it makes you sneeze!)

Some of those Catts have such a strong fragrance, you could be attracting critters from blocks away! When mine are blooming, I bring them in the house because the raccoons come into the pool cage after the yummy spice cookie scent if I leave them outside.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Dad and I had talked before about screening the lattice. May have to do that since these critters really irritate me. Like there aren't thousands of acorns on the ground! I'm kinda surprised it took them this long to find the shade house. Sigh. A gardener's work is never done...

Melanie

And Happy Birthday to Jean!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

By all means, happy birthday Jean!!

Jim

Thank You for the B-day wishes. I've been out helping my handi-man replace some rotting siding on the studio. And my squirrels have taken 1 bite out of almost every tangerine I have. They are just nasty critters.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I've already wished Jean a Happy Birthday twice. Three is the charm. Happy Birthday once again, Jean!

Beautiful photos to start off the month. We are at the cottage with the kids this week. I'll have some new photos to post by the middle of next week when I return.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I'll get in line with the birthday wishes, Jean. Have a happy one!

I got a belated gift from my kids in the mail today, a new terrestrial, Phaiocalanthe Kryptonite 'Chariot of Fire'. Can't wait to see it bloom, but it may take til next year. It's fairly small compared to my other Phaius and I can't see any sign of a spike. My Phaius tankervilleae has five big fat spikes, though - Yay!

Thank you all for the B day wishes. Spent most of yesterday working on replacing some rotting siding on the studio. It was a chilly, overcast, windy day. Face was windburned last evening & the HOT shower felt wonderful.
DH is attempting to bring me into the current century & got me an iPod touch. Since I still have a flip phone this is all new technology to me. i did manage to set up an iCloud email act & took a few pics. Perhaps I'll be better at posting them now!!!!

The windows should be in the Sunroom by this time net week. I keep telling my Orchids that the wait for good light is almost over!!!! Guess I should think about looking for a couple nice plant stands!!!!!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Melanie went shopping again! This time at the Sarasota Orchid Festival. I thought I was very particular this time. I tried to look beyond the floofy cattleyas and dinner-plate vandas that I tend to favor (although some of those came home with me, too)!

1. V. Pompimol x V. Simirun 'May'
2. Pot. Jairak Tropic
3. Blc Young Kong 'Sun #16'
4. Tolumnia Pralor 'Genting'
5. Pot. Red Crab 'Uncle Wang'

Laurel, the cattleya you brought me has Red Crab in its cross so I'm sure it's gonna be gorgeous and smell good!

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.