update from Crozet VA

Crozet, VA

Hi there folks - On this last day of 2012, I wanted to check in and let you folks know how much a part of my life and pleasure so many of you have played this past year and previous years too. Looking back and thinking of the loads of fun that our swaps and get togethers are is such a good recall. Makes a person want to do it more often. New folks who get involved in the Mid Atlantic Gardeners group are always amazed at the caliper of folk found here and the goodness and kindness extended between ourselves. Of course, even we great gardeners and all around great folks are human and from time to time there are nerves rubbing against one another. For the most part, those few times things seem to go away quickly and on we go to something more interesting to think about.

I have a few folks here that I keep up through dmail and that way we can get to know one another on a deeper and more personal level. So many of you over the years have blessed and ministered to me during difficult times and when things are going well for me, I try to extend the same courtesy and "be there for" whoever is in the needy seat at the moment. That seems to be the name of the game....pay it forward whenever possible. I would hate to think back over the life I have lived and take the human support I have received out of the picture. There is no way that I would have survived some of what I have successfully survived if I didn't have the love and support of so many throughout the years. I am speaking back even before getting involved in Dave's Garden. I have always been fortunate to find folks in my path who have reached out with a hand of kindness and that has served to motivate me to not want to throw in the towel, go hide in a closet and never come out to face the cruelty which is often found in the world. Knowing that I have a kind and caring group of people who would be there just for the asking is a good feeling.

I thank each and every one of you who have ever said a kind word to me, or sent a pick me up gift through the mail, or any other gesture you have made in friendship fashion. I feel blessed to be a member of this group and to know some of the worlds greatest folks who happen to live on the East Coast of the USA. Thank you each and every one.

As a side note, my husband John lost his mother to death last Friday, December 21 in the early afternoon. The family had been expecting it for some weeks at that point. I know that so many of you know and care for John, so I wanted to share this with the group. Mrs. Watts lived a long, 94 years very rich and full life. I believe she would have told you that she left us knowing that she raised five dear and reason to be proud children and she was a true lover of the same interest we all have and that is of gardening and the pleasure derived from it. Before age took over with both of John's parents much of their time was devoted to gardening interests and many times you would find them attending tours or lectures in some of the Gardening Groups they were involved in.

I haven't been able to keep up much with reading or posting on Dave's recently but hope to be back full force soon. All of you mean too much to me for me to stay gone too long. I
will close this by wishing everyone a great new year coming up. I hope that it will be one of the very best. If you ever find yourself feeling low and wondering if anyone in the world cares about you...please remember that I am holding each one of you in a special place in my heart and think very highly of you all. God Bless.

Ruby

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh Ruby! Please know you have my condolences and tell John that Mark and I both send our deepest sympathies, on the loss of Mrs. Watts. She had a long life, and joyfull life with four other kids like John. Wishing you peace.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh, dear Ruby!!! Please give John some extra big hugs from me. Both of you are sweet, sweet people that I care about.

I heartily agree that this is a fantasticalplace.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby---
I know that John will find support in YOU--you are very kind and sympathetic.
Please know that to live a life to 94 is an achievement in itself.

John--I extend my condolences to you and your family. Hugs--Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ruby, please extend our condolences to John, Hugs to you both. Ric and Holly

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

My goodness, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of Mrs. Watts; please share my deepest condolences with John, and to you too, Dear Ruby. BIG HUGS to both of you!!! Gita's right, John definitely finds comfort in/with you, and the reverse is true as well, thank God you are so Blessed with each other.

We will just continue to 'be here' for you, to help support BOTH of you as well.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Ruby, it's no wonder that you always find special coming into your life. You are an extraordinary person with a wonderful way of expressing so much love and gratitude. I'm always feeling love and peace after reading your posts.

My condolences to you both on the passing of Mrs. Watts. I'm sure her life was a joyful one with you and John in it.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Quote from ROSES_R_RED :
Ruby, it's no wonder that you always find special coming into your life. You are an extraordinary person with a wonderful way of expressing so much love and gratitude. I'm always feeling love and peace after reading your posts.

Couldn't have said this better..I second it!
Ruby give John a big hug from me.

Crozet, VA

Thank you everyone......I will let John read your messages when awakes from his morning nap. He is a world class napper and does both morning and afternoon ones if at all possible.

Roses, thank you so very much for your kind words. The only reason I have anything good at all to share is that I have been treated very kind and lovingly in the past when I was the one suffering. Had I not been treated well, I wouldn't know how to treat others well, so for that I feel fortunate.

I realized upon the death of my father some years after my mother's death that it was the first time in my life when I felt that I was a true adult. Until losing both parents I always felt the assurance of having some one to go to and rely upon to do what they could to see that I didn't suffer or hurt too terribly badly over anything going on in my life. It is a great loss when both parents are gone.

As far as Mrs. Watts goes, she touched many lives and a person would be hard pressed to find many negatives in her life and the way she lived it. I wrote my sister in law earlier today and told her that I am so very well aware of where the great man I married came from.....some mighty fine parenting went on in that family.

Again, thank each of you for your kind words and thoughts. I know that John will be very appreciative.

Ruby

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Please add my condolences and warm wishes to you and John.

I remember my uncles one Christmas Eve long ago speaking of all who had passed that year and then realizing that all of the elders they relied on were gone and that the mantle had passed to them to be the elders of the family. And so it goes.

Hoping both of you can come to the Feb 16 Seed Swap and we all can hug in person!

God bless,

Judy

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby, I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of Mrs. Watts. I hope to see you and John at the seed swap and give you real-life hugs.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I need to give you & John real life hugs, too! My condolences on the loss of such a lovely lady. I've never met Mrs. Watts, but knowing John tells me a lot about her sweetness and strength... "the apple don't fall far from the tree," after all.

Ruby, you know you & John have a standing invitation any swap weekend... might make for fewer concerns about the weather if you came up a day early and/or stayed Saturday night. Besides, we'd love to have you.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby and John: I'm so sad to hear about Mrs. Watts. No matter how expected the event, it still weighs awfully heavy.

Crozet, VA

A week later, John awakes........he is sitting here wiping his eyes from hearing all the great things each of you said. Coleup, the same conversation took place in our household recently too about us now being the elders. How the heck did that happen? I suppose up until both of my folks died, I seemed to be emotionally stuck at about age seventeen. Can't say for sure why that particular year, but thankfully I have moved on since then and for the most part feel my age now...physically and emotionally.

John thanks each of you and said that each thought expressed here brought tears to his eyes. I am sure he would say the same as I say about how we feel honored to have so many friends amongst all of you.

As for seed swapping....going to bow out this time. I am making arrangements to get to Jan's plant swap in the spring though. We are finally having a whole house generator installed soon, so once again there is a lot of prep work to be done getting ready for it. Thank each of you for wanting us to be there for the seed swap, but we will try next year maybe.

Again, thank each of you for your very kind words. Sally, a special thank you for the pick me up package found in yesterdays mail. All very much appreciated. Love all of you good folks.

John and Ruby

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

AWWWWW... Both of you are very special to all of us. So glad you are aiming to come to 'Joisey' in May.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh Ruby! Please give my belated condolences to John! Big hugs to both of you! Hope to see you at the swap.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2013 10:55 PM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Ruby, I can't believe I missed this. Please give John a big hug for me. I am so sorry for the loss. I am one of the ones who have gotten over some of the humps in my life with your words and way of expressing them, and wish all the best for you. I hope the passing weeks have eased some of the sorrow. As always, hope to see you soon... Terri

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ruby (John too) - I'm so sorry...my heart hurts for you both. And as belated as this is - know I will be praying God's peace for you both. It's so hard to say goodbye... Know we love you both dearly!! Hugs

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

My thoughts and prayers to you and John at this difficult time, Ruby!
I have only been able to make two swaps in my time here on DG,
but you and your husband were at both, and were always so nice,
and always, ALWAYS had a smile for every one!
You are a blessing to others, as you share, and give!
May you both always be blessed in turn!

Karen

Crozet, VA

Wow Karen and others.....you folks could swell a couple's heads if they weren't careful. Thank each of you for the very kind words and thoughts. You all must know that we regard all of our Dave's friends as some of the best we have ever had the great privilege to meet. Only on rare occasion over the years of being associated with Dave's people, have I been let down. Rarely with the mid-atlantic folks. I left my first ever swap feeling as though I had been in the presence of some really great people. My thoughts about seven years later haven't changed. Some mighty fine folks here for sure.

We are aiming for attending the spring swap, so here is hoping that we once again have the chance to spend some time with each of you.

Ruby

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yippee!!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I know it's been years since new posts were made to this thread, but I thought it was a place to find some of Ruby's DG "family."

With a heavy heart, I'm sharing the news that we lost her Feb. 6. Her cancer metastasized last fall. Here's her Memory Garden thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1438312/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.