I got a new Kindle

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I am reading Pride and Prejudice. There are hundreds of free books to choose from and I am looking forward to reading more of Dickens. Pride and Prejudice is about the upper class, the "landed" wealthy in the most chic of English Countryside. Even those who are doing well are not good enough for the aristocracy. Lots of talking, gossiping, ploting, and trying to finagle the best man with "means." Women were not considered accomplished if they could cook, sew, do all sorts of needlework and read. They had to learn a musical instrument, or sing or at least write poetry. Overcoming these prejudices but marrying well is the goal of the heroine, Elizabeth, but she is determined to find someone without all those pretentions and someone who is companionable.
Despite the fact that it is a book of manners, both good and bad, it holds you to see who gets there just desserts and who is just plain lying.

This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!