Russian winter is cool !

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

I recently bought another new house and enjoing the true Russian winter in Smolensk forests, where's my father from (6000 years ago europeans searched for the new frontiers). I'm rediscovering the territories of ancestors.

This message was edited Dec 21, 2012 8:38 AM

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Pretty.
Northern Minnesota, USA, has very similar scenery.
I spent time in Alaska one summer. Also about the same, except all the trees were shorter because of the short growing season.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ель обыкновенная Picea abies and Сосна обыкновенная Pinus sylvestris

Must be a change from the palm groves of Sochi! But not as bad as going to somewhere like Yakutsk . . .

Resin

CountryGardens, I believe it looks like Minnesota- that's why Vikings liked it.
Resin, in fact I was en route: St.Petersburg- Sochi in the mid-November, but I liked it here in Smolensk reg., that decided to stay here for some more time than 3 days. Actually I was here in archaelogical expedition in Jul-Aug (State Hermitage volontire group: early neolithic period feild excavations since 1940), and in the minwhile found the pretty country house to buy.

Winter sun in the woods.

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge

Morning sun in the woods (about +3F)

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge

Morning winter sun in the thicket.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

It's rather cold here in New York, too George. We get similar weather in the winter months.

Beautiful photos! Interesting pursuit, looking for your ancestors from the past. They must have been a hardy bunch.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

Oh, thank's Al ! Cool Pic ! Now I'm in St.Petersburg, and it's raining here and 39F. I had a phone call from friends in Smolensk reg. and they say the weather is the same there too. I thought of skiing, but the snow is too soft in the forest, as well. I will post the pics of some artifacts in a while, to give the idea of what the gardening was 6000 years back.

Here's the potsherd with the ornament on it and the wooden fragments of some utencils used back then.

The bottom water pumping method to analyse the biomass and calculate the neolithic nut shell mass.

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge
Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Interesting work. Are you studying with a university or school to do this project?

Are you also involved with gardening there? What crops do they farm there?

Best wishes to All, have a great New Year.

Al

It's just a freelance help from me and others. I also do it in respect to my long time ago ancestors.

As gardening, I have an old orchard on the land. Gotta prune all those apple, plum trees and other in March.

Nowdays, as I noticied, they mostly farm fodder cultures for dairy farming over there.

(post the pic of the night sky in Aug., there)

You all have a great New Year too !

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Your country looks very beautiful indeed. I notice that the 2014 Winter Olympics are in Sochi next year. They were here at Lake Placid several years ago. We ski here in this area also.

Our land is mostly farmland with many dairy cattle here, however I live in a small city of 10,000 people.

I have a small garden to grow vegetables such as tomatoes and squash. My wife Ellen grows flowers. I would like to talk to someone in Russia
that grows the same.

Thanks for answering George.

Al

Lycodad, Al, I love answers like yours !

They do also grow tomatoes and squash in the north ( Near Pskov) - my friends do ! I'll post some pics on that issue soon.
Actualy, I try to live an active life and travel, having several houses - so is Russia, which is my land ( from California to the New York Island) Lol

KG

This message was edited Jan 4, 2013 2:19 PM

That's my good old NEW house as it looks now .

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Perhaps needs some work, but looks comfortable. I've owned several like that LOL

Al

LoL. For certain needs a lot of work. I bought that one especially to enjoy the country lifestyle ! That is quite exotic nowdays. But it's just one step from the wild nature.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Looks sort of empty right now. Maybe it needs a nice family to take care of the farm. And some animals and chickens.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

Eventually it will. Nice trolling ! Lol

This message was edited Jan 8, 2013 4:06 PM

The summer expedition's cooking fireplace.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

You could always rent your place to Gérard Depardieu; I hear he's looking for property in the Sochi area to avoid French taxes!

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Looks warm, George. What's on the fire to eat? We enjoy camping also, but much too cold right now.

Al

Mostly birch and pinewood.
greenhouse-gal, I just got used for trolling ! Certainly, I can offer a place for Gérard Depardieu. Threre's a land for sale near my place.

lycodad, I just misread the post, I thaught the question was about the firewood. As for food there was mostly cooked cereals and french people cooked onion soup, english liked potatos.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Not a problem, George.

I'm still looking for a gardener in Russia that grows tomatoes from seed. If you know of any, perhaps they could write to me or contact by G-mail. I would like to trade some seed if that is allowed by postal customs. Thanks

Al

OK, I'll let you know.

You'll lough, but I did have that experience at my extra room in St.Petersburg 2 years ago.

And I'm interested in purchasing some good seeds from the US.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

I like to grow tomatoes from seed. I have seeds to share with others, no need to pay.

My only concern is postal authorities and regulations in the mail. It may not be possible to send if this is a problem.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad Thumbnail by lycodad

Sounds great !

Al, I'm gonna be reporting of the tomatow growth from the other side of the world.

I'm going to the Smolensk reg. house on Monday night by overnight train. There I plan to hire a worker for trimming the orchard trees.

The pics on the way

I was there. It was just awesome, like feeding the oven with fresh pine-wood firewood. Yeah- it gives some scent to your country house ! We did ski, and I had some Scotch talking at night with my neighbor, who faught in Afganistan back then. I think it was all too early trimming the orchard trees then. Could be better in March. Lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.