Starting Daylilies from Proliferations

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I know you can start daylilies from proliferations but has anyone used 6-Benzyaminopurine to increase production of daylilies. It is a groth hormonethat gets the cells started to grow proliferations. If anyone has got proliferations this way I would like to know if Super thrife will work instead of 6-benzyaminopurine. You should dust the proliferation with a rooting hormone.I read where you can use this product to increase 3 fold your chances of growing proliferations ( Without using this you might not grow any proliferations) plus using a 12x12 sheet of aluminum foil & make a cone out of it & put it around the bottom of the new proliferation with a rubber band at the base & fill the cone with potting soil & give plenty of water & fertizler In 4 to 5 weeks you should have a ful set of roots.Let me know if anyone grows proliferations this way or if you have a better way.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

The new daylily journal has a big article on this very subject. Im not sure you can view thoe online, if your not a member of the AHS, but Ill check it out. Havent read my journal yet, just looked at the pictures ;-o. Will see what i can find out and share. For me personally, I wait till the sprout roots, cut them off and pot them up.

(Michele) Cantonment, FL(Zone 8b)

I have used BAP 10 to get prolifs but I have no idea if Super Thrive will work. Some daylilies will produce prolifs while others will not no matter what is used. I just let the prolifs stay on the Mother plant as long as possible and then cut them off and pot them up. Usually the prolifs are the size of a full grown fan before I take them off. I may try Dan Trimmer's way this next season on a few to see if it makes a difference for me.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

In the AHS article by Mr. Trimmer he showed an example of one prolif with the soil enclosed around it and one without. I must say that it is worth the effort on your prized plants for faster maturation. What source are you all using for your 6-Benzy ????

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Mike.. I also read the artical & havn't tried it yet, I have taken proloferations & they rooted but Dan says you can sometimes dust the scape with a rooting hormone & maybe get proliferations as where if you did nothing you would not get any.I will try it this next year & see if it works, I just didn't know if super thrive would work in place of the rooting hormone.I found out one thing from John Benz that you can dust pollen on a on a flower even if it not ready to accept pollen, When the pod parent is ready & sticky it will accept the pollen that you have put on it.

From what I read of the article Dan dusts the emerging prolif not the scape trying to get a prolif, that's what he uses the BAP for.

Mike I get my BAP 10 in a liter out of Apopka, FL from Chris Christiansen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Michele, do you have contact info for CC?

Mike here is the info I have for Chris

Chris Christenson
1-407-342-3149
email: liners4228@gmail.com

he does travel some so if he doesn't get back to you right away give him a few days

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Michele.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Michele.. Here is a good Question, I have seedling that are 6" to 10" tall & was wanting to know if I could put the pots in water or would that be to much water. I have several pots & saucers & have to keep filling the saucers everyday with water, Could I use a big tray & then I could water several pots by keeping the tray about 2" high with water. I have put plants in a 5 gal bucket of water & the daylilies bloomed in the bucket. Several of my seedling are starting to turn brown on the tips & a little light yellow in the center of the plant. I fertilize once or twice a week & use 1 drop of super thrive per gal of water.

Yes you can put the pots in water. Tommy Maddox does this with all his seedlings. I can't find the website that shows them right now (I keep finding his new blog website), maybe someone else has it and can post it.

The hybridier that I share a garden with (his place) does this with his seedlings. He actually puts the pots in the waterbeds when he plants the seeds.

You may need to water the tops every once in awhile because the top layer of soil may dry out and not get the water from the bottom.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Thank You Michele for the advice, I will buy big trays.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Tink, is this the site? http://meridianstar.com/life/x681119901/The-Meridian-Daylily-Club/print

Thanks Mike, but no that's not the one I'm thinking of.

Tommy used to have a different website than the one he uses now and he had photos of his waterbeds on there

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.