Coke and Listerine fruit tree spray?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi,

The past couple of years I've not been able to grow any fruit (pears, apples, peaches, nectarines) because all of my trees have been hit with oriental flying moths. Last month, when I was standing in line waiting to vote, I got to talking with several ladies in line and I was bemoaning the fact that I just can't grow fruit because the dang moths keep attacking my fruit trees. One of the ladies mentioned that she sprays her trees 3 to 4 times a year with a Coke and Listerine spray. She mentioned that there's info on the internet about it.

However, after doing some extensive searching, I'm unable to come up with any information about using this "organic"-type of spray, and, unfortunately, I didn't ask her what proportions to use.

Has anyone ever heard of using Coke and Listerine to keep the pests away from fruit trees?

Warrenton, VA

Jeese co0ak, it'd keep ME away from your fruit trees! LOL! Best to you!

Fairfax, VA(Zone 7a)

Never heard of this!

Listerine has an alcohol content of 26%, as well as random bioactive substances (e.g. menthol). I can't think what Coke would bring to the table. Maybe caffeine, although the content is not very high. Still, give it a try -- at the very least you'd get an amusing story out of it (and a minty fresh orchard).

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

is it the moths doing the damage or their larvae, the caterpillars?

if it's the cats, you need to spray with something like Ferti-lome Borer, Bagworm and Leafminer spray. the active ingredient is Spinosad and is considered organic. you can buy other Spinosad products but this one is the cheapest. Ace carries it here in florida. you can also spray with a Bt (Thuricide) product. also organic and works much the same way. the cats eat it and die.

MARVEL, CO(Zone 5b)

Maybe the sticky in the Coke helps the rest of it to stay on the leaves and bark?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.