Grandma's flowers

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

I am preparing a portion of my back yard for next spring's planting and have begun thinking about plants that grew in grandma's yard half century ago.

Wonder if they are still around. Now, grandma did not spend a lot of time working flowers, they grew or they died--it was their choice.

I remember large areas of melva that came up every years. When I moved to my present home 30 years ago there happened to be a melva volunteer planting that I have been able to maintain.

Larkspur always grew beautifully. I have attempted to grow several times with no success. Anybody know the secret or where I might get some heirloom seeds to try again.

Around the barn were scads of Jimson weeds every summer. How I loved the fragrance! I can no longer enjoy the fragrance, but I am hoping to grow datura (and maybe brugs) next year. Maybe I can see some of those huge moths I remember coming in each night. Interestingly, I never remember any animal dying or getting sick; I am sure I crushed and smelled them with no harm, either.

What plants do others remember from long ago; and how many can still be found today?

More and more, I am leaning toward a memory garden to remind me of my youth.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Tall purple phlox.
Entlie

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Ditto on the phlox and I would add cosmos and nicotiana.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.