Can Christmas Tree preservative be added to compost?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

For the past few years I have been composting needles and small twigs from our Christmas tree. It recently dawned on me that I don't know what is in the preservative that I add the the water and weather it is wise to add to my compost. Any advice, suggestions, or alternative preservative recipes will be appreciated.

Thanks, David

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I really don't know what's in the preservative. Maybe some sugar for energy, and some alcohol to cut bacteria? Just a wild guess.

My gut says its harmless , and in such a tiny amount by the time it gets to the needles and twigs in compost, that you need not worry.

Anyone else?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

I found a post from 2003 by momcat where she gave a recipe for tree juice. I'll probably go that route. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/411599/?hl=christmas+tree+preservative

That sounds good. At least one person said she/he used it with good results.
Sugar, bleach to kill bacteria, and a tiny amount of minerals. That's' probably what's in the commercial ones, at a markup.

Boiled water would have less or no air molecules which possibly reduces bacteria too?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

I wondered why they kept mentioning to use boiled water. That sounds reasonable. Thanks sallyg

David

Sure- It's the first and only logical possible reason that comes to my mind. Not saying I am right mind ya!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

I'm good with that.:)

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> Boiled water would have less or no air molecules which possibly reduces bacteria too?

Maybe having less air dissolved in the Christmas tree water prevents bubbles from forming on the cut end of the stump. If air bubbles formed there, the wood couldn't suck water into its phloem or xylem (spelling very approximate).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.