Crossing the same daylily

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Has anyone had any luck crossing the same daylily back to itself, Are there any problems using the cross or would the seedling not produce any good daylilies.

Warners, NY

It's called selfing. Some species and some hybrids will not--rosea supposed to be self infertile--so supposedly you need different clones-I'm not sure, I would try it. Some think if it works will produce inferior plants. I suspect not necessarily--depends on the genetics. It might be a way to combine two recessive genes and bring them out in the offspring. It is worth a try sometimes, I think I read somewhere that Hall did it after line breeding and I think old Halls Pink may have been from a self pollination. Anyway, if the plant is self fertile it might be interesting.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Weedy

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have tried with an old non hybrid, an heirloom. Parent plant of the peaches series, I believe the plant to be?.Their viable, created a few variants , and a slightly more ruffled than originally started with. Also more yellow than anything, I suspect that is why earlier ruffled varieties seemed to be mostly yellow, at least as to available at the time.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is Sandra Elizabeth, a yellow flower selfing to produce a red. I have seen others out there also. http://www.daylilydb.com/?script=3.1

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Tried the link after posting which took me back to search page. The name of the plant is Scarlet Elizabeth.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I wish I could remember who does alot of self crossing, but its for color. If your trying to make a better plant or bring something new to the table, Ive always heard hybridizers speak against it. As far as the plant being able to do it, not a problem. Thats what most bee crosses are, just some pollen from a flower falling on another one on the plant. Ummmm wonder if the bee carries the pollen plant to plant, that would be a more interesting noid pod.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.