Pining for spring...

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

and reading through various gardening blogs and articles.

This one is delightful for the southern fragrance garden.

http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/ScentGardens.pdf

If you have any favorites, please share here.

Kristi

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for sharing this wonderful article about scented plants.

You are welcome. At 35 degrees, it makes me savor the thought of springtime even more. lol

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

So true, we're also getting into the high 30's the next few nights here as well. I'm enjoying the scent of the blooming Paperwhite Ziva this week, and I'm happy to have something blooming and fragrant at this time of the year. Annette

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a Lantana that came from Home Depot that the blooms are deep salmon and yellow vs the pink and yellow of the common Lantana and it has a rather strong delightful fragrance. I refer to the blossoms, not the foliage. I was surprised by this. Has anyone else experienced this? I have four O''clocks and whte ginger in my "canyon" between my two story and my neighbor's two story. It' not too far from my pergola and really nice as I travel back and forth from back to front of my house a dozen or so times a day. I have Alyssum in various pots near the pergola. They smell like honey to me. I would reallly like something fragrant for the deep shade on the Eastern side of my pergola. Any one know of a deep shade fragrant plant?

What a delightful location for fragrance in your canyon!
I have never heard of fragrant lantanas. That is one to protect.

Right off, I can't call any fragrant bloomers suited for shade but am sure someone here will know.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

we have to plant jasmine in shade/partial shade here due to the heat, they burn up otherwise.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, RC. I had not thot about jasmine. Good idea.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's quite a nice list for northerners too!

Thanks Podster.

Definitely a list of plants to lust after... lol

It does helps make winter pass more quickly.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Does shop at or live near Caldwell Nursery http://www.caldwellhort.com/ I've lusting after gingers they have there at such great prices and they won't ship :( Very, very sad...

Hey Chantell ~ I can see you are getting spring fever. lol Maybe it's time for a road trip.

I am too far from Rosenberg and too work bound to make the trip even though I might love to do so.

And I can't immediately recall any DGrs from that exact area but I'd put money of some being near and would probably be willing to accomodate you.

Why don't you try posting a 'request' thread over there ~ http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/region_tx/all/

I don't even want to look at their website. lol

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL - oh you'd LOVE their site!!! Thank you...I might 'mention' over on that thread...can't hurt...right? ^_^

Smell the recently acquired yummies....Cattleya walkeriana (tuberose scent) and a Miltoniopsis (lilac scented)

Thumbnail by Chantell Thumbnail by Chantell

Wow! and are they blooming for you already? That makes waiting for summer far more pleasant.

Here the Carolina jessamine is opening and the fragrance is on the breeze when outside. Yummmm!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Confession time: I bought them in bloom...LOL And yes - they certainly help while we wait...and wait. Trolling for fragrant gingers and hoyas now...exit stage right

LOL and I thought of you this week when I purchased my fragrant purple petunias for a pot at the front door so I can enjoy the odor when I head out to earn pet food & plant money.

My local plant dealer also gave me a clump of an heirloom fragrant petunia plants. Do you think he has my number?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Getting all twitterpated here....you know I LOVE those old petunias - such easy tolerant plants with that amazing night scent!! Me thinks you should collect seeds from those heirloom petunias - yup yup yup. LMBO off - just noticed your 'to earn pet food and plant money' - Ohhhh I can relate to that!! Hmmmm I believe it's time to go to the Logees site....

I keep getting Logees' emails and delete them quickly!!! Trying to dodge that bullet and here you are providing temptation.

I fully intend to save you seeds from those petunias. lol Shouldn't be a problem, everyone says they are a plague once they get a start. I've seen containers of them in front of businesses and next summer have seen volunteers growing and blooming in the sidewalk cracks in front of those businesses. Rather like the plague...

Hmmmm I believe it's time to go to work...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL I hear ya....so kill me now...it wasn't Logees - it was Gardinos. A plague of Petunias? Perish the thought!!! NOT!!! Now THAT'S a plague I can live with!!!

And I will guarantee that we will have to live with that plague. 8 )

So what did you find at Gardinos?
And did you ever post on the TX forum to find someone willing to shop at Caldwells?
I'll bet quite a few over there have already been to Caldwells.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Woooowhoooo!!! Plagues R us!!! ^_^

Wellllll.....it's like this...I really REALLY had downsized my indoor plants (to incl the tropicals brought in for the winter) the last few years and I realized I missed smelly-goods during the cold dank winter months. So it started picking up just ONE hoya at Walmart that I was fairly certain was a lacunosa but not so sure that it was "Ruby Sue' as marked. That led to another hoya from walmart...then another. I'm fairly certain at least one of the 2 is another type of lacunosa. The first one that I bought - has blooms opening on it now....LOVE that spicy scent!!!! So I was stalking Gardino's hoya selection...making my wish list(S)

As for the gingers - I actually got two in the mail today from an ebay seller in FL - and I've found a couple other sites...so I think I'm going to be ok. How dangerous would it be to have Caldwells in close proximately? Ugh...I'd have to get a third job...LOL

Wow! Hoyas now? Most of mine are unnamed but don't smell so heavenly. I had H lacunosa (if I'm thinking of the right one) and it smelled delicately wonderful, reminded me of butterscotch. Am I thinking of the right one?

The rest smell too strong and not necessarily pleasant to me. Can't quite describe it. Rather like a Sansevieria I have in bloom right not. It was on the back porch and when I'd walk out there in the evening, I'd think what smells so strong? Finally moved it outside and slip it in the GH on frosty nights instead.

I can understand wanting wonderful smells in the shorter, grim days of winter but I have trouble enticing Hoyas to bloom in winter, even in the GH. Are you trying to justify buying more plants??? lol

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Seems to me you need some cuttings off of this NOID I have blooming now. To my nose it's a spicy musky lilac type scent...hmm, guess that might not sound appealing eh? I LOVE IT though!! I believe it was labeled H. Lacunosa 'Ruby Sue' but it's not. The leaves are solid green.

How do you torture them to get them to bloom at this time of year? I'd hoped with the GH they would deliver blooms but haven't seen any yet. Lucky you!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ummm purchase at Walmart looking fairly neglected - continue with partial neglect once at my house. Whhaaa laaa...there you have it! I hung it from my large plant stand that's by the living room windows (faces south-east). Does that mean you're turning down cuttings? Heck, I can root them if you like... ('bout the only thing I know how to root...LOL)

No Chantell, not just turning down cuttings. Turning down plants that need overwintering. I can't stop! I have a wall of Hoyas in the GH just begging for waterings, fertilizings, cuttings, repotting.

I have racks of assorted succulents rooting that are duplicates, triplicates, whatever comes next. of plants I already have. I've planted succulent beds outside of these duplicates to test how winter hardy they are and danged if they haven't survived.

I'm considering selling plants at the local farmers market when it begins... but that would entail ~ packing up at night, being there at 6 am, selling till I have to be to work at 9 am and working all day till 6 pm. I'm having trouble wanting to do that.

I have sold plants on ebay but that also is a lot of effort and my time is limited.

I am afraid I have to draw the line in the potting soil. Sorry ~ lol

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I understand...truly. If it weren't for me down sizing to barely nothing..I wouldn't be collecting now. And I am trying to use restraint getting only fragrants...least 90% of the time. There's no way I'd have time to do the Farmer's Market thing...1 1/2 jobs is enough for me!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.