December's Holiday Orchids

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Time to start a new thread for December. We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286430/. Please join us in sharing your December orchid blooms here.

I'll start off with Lc. Loog Tone X Lc. Hwa Yuan Glory. I like it because it is different. The petals curve backwards, almost folding double, giving the flower a triangular appearance.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

My Dendrobium Chan Chao is blooming. Gotta love the color on this one.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Jim - the Den reminds me of a HI lei................

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Lc. Irene's Song 'Monclair' is blooming. I've had her for quite a few years and the plant is huge and in need of repotting. The problem is it is already in the largest orchid pot I can find so I'll have to make my own. To make matters worse, the roots are growing fast to the old pot so I'll have to smash it with a hammer.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I'll have to look that one up, Jean.

The flowers on this Epic. Haiku Twinkie 'Red Elf' look so delicate and the tend to droop on weak stems.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is Wilsonara Red Stars 'Rooster'.

Jim

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Another month closer to retirement! Here are 2 just bought in the past week:

A NoId Home depot Phal. that I'm going to mount and a Mounted Oncidium Yellow "Twinkle" with 3 spikes!

This message was edited Dec 1, 2012 10:12 AM

Thumbnail by tommyr2006 Thumbnail by tommyr2006
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

There is a brand new bloom on my Psychopsis mariposa 'Green Valley'. This is the big Phychopsis with flowers about three times the size of my regular ones.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Tommy, did you get that mounted Onc.at Home Depot as well? I've never seen a mounted orchid there.

Then there is Epicattleya (Epc.) Lime Sherbert X Bc. Little Stars which is just covered in blooms.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Carol's Gerberara 'Snow Ballet', Florida edition, is also blooming up a storm.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

It looks like Blc. Golden Tang is going to be one of those orchids that is always in bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here are the new blooms on Blc Chia Lin 'New City' . This is a large Catt. with great fragrance. I think it should be in everyone's collection.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And David Sander is putting on a fourth bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Epic. Volcano Trick Fireball continues to fill out its spike. Epicatts really do well for me and I like the blooms.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The last one for now is Miltassia Golden Spider 'Copius'

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I dunno, Jim. Looks to me like you dressed all those pretty little Dens up to look like reindeer. It's got antlers for petals, must be related to Den. stratiodes, d'you think?

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, Elaine, they might be related. If I remember correctly, the "antlers" are more erect and the sepals are more twisted on Den. stratiodes. Probably some color differences on the lip as well. Both are very nice.

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Better lock your doors Jim - I like that Lc. Irene's Song 'Monclair' an awful lot, LOL! The first cattleya my Dad got broke right through the pot and when I moved back home I did my best to split it into three. This was years ago before I knew anything about orchids, but they managed to survive despite my best attempts. Hope you have just a regular pot and not a cute one, though. I'd hate to lose a nice one.

Melanie

hawkarica,
No, I got that twinkle off of eBay from Abita Orchids. My local Home depot usually carries only Phals. Sadly.

MaypopLaurel,

Thanks for the comment! Good to hear from you!

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Encyclia cochleata doing it's thing as usual. It always has three spikes

Maxillaria cucullata. Picked this up as a bare root in a bin for $8 from Andy's at a show this past October. Stuck it in a 4" orchid terra cotta with fine bark and here it is 6 weeks later.

Thumbnail by ted5310 Thumbnail by ted5310 Thumbnail by ted5310
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Tommy, I have a similar Oncidium called Onc. Gold Dust. I really like Onc. Fragrant Fantasy, a white version with a golden center and lovely fragrance.

Ted, my Prosthecea (Encyclia) has finished blooming for now but I was noticing new sheathes forming. Do like that Max. a lot!

This is Cattleya Chocolate Drop x Potinara Netrasiri in from the greenhut to be enjoyed. There is a faint rosy fragrance going on.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Little Ascocenda Jiraprapra x Vanda Charles Goodfellow. Like Mjs, I got this four or so years ago as a baby in a bag. This is the first bloom. It got burned a few years ago before I had the right shade cloth.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Impossible to photograph well without a tripod, the tiny bell flowers of Pleurothallis Mathildae nod downward. They are delicately striped with lavender inside. This one continues to put out new spikes and flowers throughout winter.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

The second spike on this NOID Catt is now mature. It perfumes the greenhut.

Gastrochilus dasypogon is now covered with mature flowers.They have turned a very deep gold.

The second and smaller Acampe papillosa, affectionately known as baby Jim, is going strong as is the mother plant not shown here.

Vanda Manuvadee x Fuch's Delight. This one is blooming on a large keiki. Sometimes I can get the mother plant to bloom after, making for a very long season. I'd like to divide it but despite its size there are currently only roots at the base of the mother plant. The last photo is not doctored. It looks very blue in certain light. The first two photos were taken at a different time of day.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2012 5:49 PM

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

I spotted this little mop head on Bulbophyllum medusae today. I can get it to bloom several flowers, but have not been able to do it all at once where it makes for a striking specimen. It is still a relatively young plant.

Both spikes on Brassavola cordata are almost fully open. It will be a while before the flowers mature.

Masdevallia atropurpurea has been both an aggressive grower and bloomer. It too produces flowers over a long season. This Masdie made it through our wicked three digit summer. I periodically refresh the sphagnum on mounts by pulling away the old stuff with hemostats and retying new sphag to the mount.

Need photos yes? lol

This message was edited Dec 2, 2012 5:05 PM

This message was edited Dec 2, 2012 5:51 PM

Here you go. Masdevallia atropurpurea

This is a slower than watching paint dry orchid...Aerangis citrata. It won best in Vanda class two years ago at the Atlanta show. It is forming spikes now and won't bloom until (hopefully) mid-March. I love the tiny Aerangis.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

What a variety Laurel! I love the colors on your Gastrochilus dasypogon, but they're all beautiful!

Melanie

Thank you, Melanie. My bloomers usually pick up this time of year since I purposely collected Fall and Winter blooming plants the first few years I started growing again. I still do that since we are away working on the veggie garden at Maypop for much of the summer. Something to get me through the long, dreary days of winter. Nothing like Tommy's though. :)

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Oo, that Pleurothallis is a sweet thing. Love the color of the Asocenda cross, too.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Well I've missed a bunch, and have some catching up to do.
Got several blooming and spiking but no pics...I need to remedy that !

Jim, your posts of B. David Sander have put me on the hunt.

Laurel, Ascocenda Jiraprapra x Vanda Charles Goodfellow is still going strong for me and one I'm really enjoying.
I like the little Pleurothallis also. I need to go back to the Nov. thread and look...I'm sure I've missed some lovely's !!!

Thanks, Elaine. I'm feeling a bit guilty for not posting much lately. I can't say that things will get better. I am thankfully busy with work as the holidays near and will stay busy with work through mid-January.

Did I say we are expecting a grand here? Our daughter and SIL have announced great expectations. We were more than a bit taken aback with the speedy announcement. Just getting used to them being married this past July.

Just ordered a Den. "Liberty White" in spike! Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday! I am STOKED!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Great news, Laurel. Congratulations.

Melanie, I may be heading down to Sarasota to meet Elaine and look for a David Sander. I'd be happy to pick one up for you if you want. They seem to be hard to find in the Tampa area.

Laurel, beautiful show. I love the Ascocenda cross and a big cheer for blooming the medusae. Mine has been setting there for three years just looking at me.

I'm just back from a garden club Christmas party. I ate too much but the wine was sweet. :>)

Jim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.