Gardening by the Moon - December 2012

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Here is the Farmer's Almanac, then I continue with the one I use, the Biodynamic system.

One of the element in Biodynamic, is the planting calendar, which has to do with the cosmic timing of activities in the garden, much of the timing for work to be carried out according to the biodynamic system is to do with the movement of the moon through the Zodiac.

December 2012.

1st-2nd Plant Beets, Onions, Turnips And Other Root Crops, Where Climate Allows. Plant Seedbeds And Flower Gardens. Good Days For Transplanting.

3rd-6th Barren Period. Kill Plant Pests.

7th-8th Plant Root Crops, Fine For Sowing Grains, Hay, And Forage Crops. Plant Flowers.

9th-11th Plant Carrots, Beets, Onions, Turnips, Irish Potatoes And Other Root Crops, In The South. Lettuce, Cabbage, Collards, And Other Leafy Vegetables Will Do Well. Start Seedbeds. Good Days For Transplanting.

12th-13th Do No Planting.

14th-16th Plant Sweet Corn, Beans, Peppers And Other Aboveground Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable.

17th-19th Kill Weeds, Briars And Other Plant Pests, Poor For Planting

20th-21st Plant Peppers, Sweet Corn, Tomatoes And Other Aboveground Crops, In Southern Florida, California, And Texas. Extra Good For Cucumbers, Peas, Cantaloupes, And Other Vine Crops.

22nd-23rd A Poor Time To Plant.

24th-25th Plant Beans, Peppers, Cucumbers, Melons And Other Aboveground Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable.

26th-27th Seeds Planted Now Will Rot.

28th-29th Plant Beets, Onions, Turnips And Other Root Crops, Where Climate Allows. Plant Seedbeds And Flower Gardens. Good For Transplanting.

30th-31st A Most Barren Period. Kill Plant Pests And Do General Farm Work.

Biodynamic Moon Zodiac Calendar

December 1st-2nd.

Flower day
Sign Gemini
Moon Waning gibbous

Synodic:
Sow root vegetables, berries, bulbs, onions, biennials, and perennials.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Gemini: Air sign. Sow Flower plants. Do not sow Root plants.

Sidereal:
Moon in Gemini: Barren and dry, But this sign promotes flower growth.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Air signs: Gemini, Libra, Aquarius = Flower Plants

Plant now, if you want fragrance, beauty, and a long flowering time under these signs. All flower plants, flowering trees and flowering vines and shrubs, the Moon's influence is channeled into the blossom growth.

Use flower days for planting / cultivating Broccoli, Cauliflowers ( although these will do better in a Water sign). Globe Artichokes, bulbs and flowers, flowering herbs (eg Angelica, Borage, Camomile, Lavander, Wormwood.), flowering hedges, flowering trees (eg Lilac), also if you want flowering bulbs and corms ....
Elderflower and all Flowering Plants

This message was edited Nov 30, 2012 7:17 PM

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Air signs: Gemini, Libra, Aquarius = Flowering Plants

Plant now, if you want fragrance, beauty, and a long flowering time under these signs. All flower plants, flowering trees and flowering vines and shrubs, the Moon's influence is channeled into the blossom growth.

Use flower days for planting / cultivating Broccoli, Cauliflowers ( although these will do better in a Water sign). Globe Artichokes, bulbs and flowers, flowering herbs (eg Angelica, Borage, Camomile, Lavander, Wormwood.), flowering hedges, flowering trees (eg Lilac), also if you want flowering bulbs and corms ....
Elderflower and all Flowering Plants.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

December 3 - 4 - 5

Leaf day
Sign Cancer
Moon Waning gibbous

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Cancer: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants: Cabbages, Lettuce. Do not sow Fruit plants: Broad Beans, Peas.

Sidereal:
Moon in Cancer: Best sign for germination.

This message was edited Dec 3, 2012 6:41 PM

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Water signs: Pisces, Cancer, Scorpio = Leaf Plants

LEAF are associated with the water constellations (Pisces, Scorpio, Cancer).When you plant in a Water sign, the Moon's influence / energy is channeled into the leaves. This are considered to be the most productive signs, even more so than Earth signs.

Choose leaf days for salads, leaf herbs (sage, sorrel, mint,basil, thyme), Asparagus, Basil, Bay, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celeriac, Celery, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage, Coriander, Cress, Cornsalad or Mâche, Dill, Endive, Kale, Florence Fennel, Kale, Lettuce, Mustard, Parsley, Rhubarb, Spinach, Swiss Chard, also can be planted on Leaf days cauliflower and leeks, as well as grass or non flowering hedges

These Oriental and Chinese vegetables are more resistant to cold weather: Pak Choi, Mizuna, Mustard or Japanese Spinach Leaves, Mustard Greens, Chinese Cabbage any variety.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

December 6 - 7

Fruit day
Sign Leo
Moon Last quarter

Synodic:
Garden maintenance only, weeding, harvesting and care of the compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Leo: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants: Broad Beans, Peas …. Do not sow Leaf plants: Cabbages, Lettuce

Sidereal:
Moon in Leo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance only.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Fire signs: Aries, Leo, Sagittarius = Fruit Plants

FRUIT are associated with the Fire constellations (Aries,Leo, Sagittarius) Warmth or fire signs are favorable for fruit plants. The Moon's influence is channeled into the fruit and seed of the plant.

Use Fruit Days for all fruits (Blackberry, currant, cranberry, Gooseberry, strawberries, raspberries, Apples, Avocado, Apricot, Cherry, Fig, Nectarine, Pear, Plums, )...as well as all fruiting vegetables plants whose seed fruit we harvest: Aubergine, buckwheat, beans, broad bean, courgettes, Cucumber, grains, lentils, Marrow, peas, squashes, corn, peppers, capsicums, rice, soya, tomatoes, pumpkins, Sweetcorn, zucchini, and any other fruit trees.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

December 8 - 9

Root day
Sign Virgo
Moon Waning crescent

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Virgo: Earth sign. Sow Root plants like Garlic. Do not sow Flower plants.

Sidereal:
Moon in Virgo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

December 10 – 11

Flower day
Sign Libra
Moon Waning crescent

Synodic:
Biodynamic:
Moon in Libra: Air sign. Sow Flowering plants. Do not sow Root plants.

Sidereal:
Moon in Virgo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

December 12 - 13

Leaf day
Sign Scorpio
Moon New Moon

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals: Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber, Grains.Harvesting vegetables now to be stored.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Scorpio: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants: Cabbages. Do not to sow Fruiting plants: Broad Beans.
Fruits and vegetables harvested now will store well.

Sidereal:
Moon in Scorpio: This is a Sign beneficial for planting, germination and strong growth will result.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

December 14 - 15

Fruit day
Sign Sagittarius
Moon New Moon

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals: Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber, Grains. Fruits and produce harvested now will store for longer.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Sagittarius: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants. Do not sow Leaf plants: Lettuce. Fruits Harvested now will store for longer.

Sidereal:
Moon in Sagittarius: Dry and barren. Plant onion sets and bulbs

This message was edited Dec 12, 2012 1:39 PM

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

December 16 - 17

Root day
Sign Capricorn
Moon Waxing crescent

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals: Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber, Grains. Do not harvest fruit or produce to store, they will rot..., only harvest what you need.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Capricorn: Earth sign. It is a good time to sow Root plants like Garlic,.Do not sow Flower plants.

Sidereal:
Moon in Capricorn: Potatoes and tubers planted now will have a strong growth.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

December 18 - 19

Flower day
Sign Aquarius
Moon Waxing crescent

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals: Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber, Grains.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aquarius: Air sign. Sow Flower plants. Do not sow Root plants.

Sidereal:
Moon in Aquarius: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

December 20 - 21 - 22

Leaf day
Sign Pisces
Moon First quarter

Synodic:
Sow vegetables with seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Pisces: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants: Cabbages. Do not sow Fruit plants: Peas ...

Sidereal:
Moon in Pisces: Best sign for planting soft fruit. Water sign promotes root growth. It is a time of maximum water intake for plants.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

December 23 - 24

Fruit day
Sign Aries
Moon Waxing gibbous

Synodic:
Sow vegetables with seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aries: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants: Broad Beans. … Do not sow Leaf plants: Cabbages.

Sidereal:
Moon in Aries: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Merry Christmas, Cristina, and thanks for all that you do for us. It is wet and windy here, so no going outside for me. This year will be the first in a long time that I will not be doing any winter sowing. Sigh!

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Evelyn, Have a lovely X'mas and a very Happy Season,
My very best to You and Family .

I do understand that most of you in USA are heading into Winter and gardening is in most States under snow, I do admire your spirit, I don't think of myself on those weather conditions .... snow for a weekend is fine but ...

Our Summer is looking to be very hot and dry ... we always expect quakes in these condition.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

December 25 - 26 - 27

Root day
Sign Taurus
Moon Waxing gibbous

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Taurus: Earth sign. Sow Root plants. Do not sow Flower plants. Fruits harvested now should be eaten straight away.

Sidereal:
Moon in Taurus: Sow Root vegetable crops.

Quote from cristina :

we always expect quakes in these condition.

Gosh, I hope you don't have any. If you do, I just hope that no one is injured by them.

We really do not get a lot of snow, but some years we do. The year before last. Last year was a mild winter. I never know what to expect. If they predict snow, it rains, if they predict rain, it snows...sometimes.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

December 28 - 29

Flower day
Sign Gemini
Moon Full Moon

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Gemini: Air sign. Sow Flower plants. Do not sow Root plants. Fruits harvested now should be eaten straight away.

Sidereal:
Moon in Gemini: Barren and dry, this sign promotes flower growth.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

December 30 - 31

Leaf day
Sign Cancer
Moon Waning gibbous

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Cancer: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants. Do not sow Fruit plants.

Sidereal:
Moon in Cancer: This planet is beneficial for germination

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Its been really cold (with snow) here this whole week too. We are so grateful for the snow since we had a hot dry summer. I'm still wondering how, on a planet that has so much water and wind, there can be such long dry spells???? Water is always evaporating and clouds are always being blown over the land.....

Here's hoping/praying you get some of those clouds and rain, Cristina!

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

That would be wonderful Ladypearl, the weather has changed so much lately and this is a world wide phenomena.

I am collecting all the grey water I can to water my garden. Even the rain water I try to put it back into the garden and still is not enough.

Well, at least we have water!!!!!

This year is just ending on us, let's hope that next year will be a Good Year, that is what I am wishing for all of us!

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Yeah, I also collect grey water (rinse water when washing dishes) and it has helped keep our bushes alive during the dry weather. But like you say, without rain, it isn't enough. We used to have huge thunderstorms rolling across the plains that would bring us lots of rain but have not seen those in a few years - we are wondering why??

Hopefully 2013 with be different and we will all get some of those thunderstorms!

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Yes, thunderstorm are a great show / gift of Nature, and when they come with plenty rain ..... WOW!

Let's hope that 2013 will bring us a good rainfall.

Take care of yourself Ladypearl and start or continue with some food storage, firsth I feel the the Market will crush mid February and it will get better but it will continue unstable till mid year, June - July .... Price of food will go up!
And there will be crop failures due to weather changes .... Prices will go up! ... What's new?

Happy, Safe and Healthy 2013!

Yes, Cristina! We must grow as much as we can of our own food. That is why we follow you and the calendar to make the most of our planting. Even (most of) the foods grown and shipped to our supermarkets are unhealthy GMO's and most are grown with pesticides. And of course, if you can get organic produce, it is already expensive.

If I improve in the next couple of weeks, I should be starting some seeds after I finish the quilt for my great-grandson, as I was hoping to finish that one by Christmas. We did not have Christmas at our house this year. I watched "It's A Wonderful Life" in bed and that was my only Christmas thing. I could not concentrate on sewing or sowing.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

evelyn isn't wonderful to see a great-grandson! .... God Bless him.

You look after yourself and you will be OK, I am sure of it, then you will see that you are still on time to get some seeds growing inside in flats then you have all the time before Spring to do some early sowing of few seeds of different vegetables well advance to move them in the garden when the weather warm up for you.

Thank you Cristina! ^_^ I sure hope so!!

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes, you take good care of yourself and get better Evelyn!

Thank you for the words of wisdom Cristina. We have been preparing for some time now since you never know what can happen (with the weather being crazy sometimes, prices going up, and the like.) Its good to know what wild/ native plants can be safely eaten also.

I hope (pray) you (and all the Peeps here at Dave's Garden) have a safe and prosperous New Year/ 2013! And lots of rain for those who need it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.