What to do to fix Crummy Glaze?

Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

Here's a picture of a cat I recently made showing the head where some of the glaze chipped off during the firing. I have a couple of questions about how to fix it.

1 - Why does glaze occasionally chip off in places when being fired? The instructor in my class says it's from being dirty, or I had oil on my hands, etc. I've had this happen a couple of times before and the one time I reglazed the chipped off sections it came off again, even though I made sure everything was clean. I'd like to fix this cat and am wondering what to do. I'm thinking I could sand it off a bit on the area where it came off using the white ceramic stone (forget what they're called) and then reapply. Any suggestions?

2 - I obviously don't like the way the purple or the blue glazes turned out. I was careful to apply three coats, although I have to admit I sometimes rush and am not sure the previous coats are completely dry. So do I need to sand it down lightly and then reapply, or just reapply a couple of coats making sure each is dry before adding the next?

Any help will be appreciated.
Annie

This message was edited Nov 27, 2012 8:10 PM

Thumbnail by Anniesfollies
This thread has 15 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!