A note from the wine country

Cloverdale, CA(Zone 15)

I'm about 100 miles north of San Francisco in the Sonoma County wine country. Yup, have a vineyard. Nope, don't make wine. Just ten table grape vines but they produce almost 200 pounds every September. I'm on a quarter acre but happy to curl up in a small corner of it and use the rest for herbs, vegetables, flowers and fruit. I lived in cities until I got this property six years ago so I'm still learning. I'd love to hear from anyone who gardens in this climate -- microclimate, really -- and knows about composting, vermiculture, irrigation, heat and frost, flood and drought, how to manage all the many seasonal shifts and changes of this fertile area.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Welcome from a former northern CA resident! I miss driving through wine country. I lived in Sunnyvale, Citrus Heights and Carmichael.
You've probably found it by now, but here's a link to the California Gardening forum:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/region_ca/all/

Enjoy!

Nelson, New Zealand

Hello from New Zealand. I have just joined this site and know that there are many foruns I will just have to visit.
Here it is summer and our flower garden is blooming and the vegetables are doing well. Strawberries are sweet and juicy. I was given Chandler strawberry runners last season and they are wonderfully productive. Peas are just starting to pod up and the tomatoes are in flower. We planted these late as our weather here in Nelson has been too cold to plant at usual time. We were even having frosts at the end of November, not very hard frosts but never known them at that time before.
Seems New Zealand does not have it's own forum so have posted on the Australian gardening forum.
Happy gardening everyone and have a good day.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Welcome, Nelsonian! I'm sure the Aussies will welcome you on that forum. And like they say, "G'day"!

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh dear, I see I have missed a few new members of the DG family! Welcome 101 and Nelsonian, glad to have you join the family!

Happy posting, and VERY happy gardening to you both! =)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.