Trading Plant

Manassas, VA(Zone 7b)

I will not be making any more future trades . With the amount of time & effort I put fort in complying with the aggrements, I find it not worth what I get in return. Allong with the cost of the postage in sending out these packages; I find it more effective if I spend this money in going to the Nursey & picking up a plant. I thank all the people I have had dealings with & new friends I made while trading. THANKS Jake from Manassas Virginia.

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

You are absolutely right about buying plants at the nursery being more economical and getting larger plants there.There are other considerations however. For one you may not be able to get the plants you want. At Home Depot for example, they seem to stick to plants that are more of the old Favorite Varieties. For example the varieties of Hosta are not the latest ones.
In some, but not all, of their stores they don't water enough so the plant you buy may look ok when you buy it but will suffer great die back after you plant it. Even if you are very careful in the planting, and then there is the fun you can have in making trades and the friends you make in doing so. Of course you have to get to know traders who give good value in their trades.
Al Fitzburgh

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I second Al's comments. He and I have traded on several occasions and no way could I have gotten the items he sent me from the nursery. I have also met other delightful people all across the country and had many successful trades. Yes, there were trades where I gave a lot more than I got, but that's life. I hope you will re-consider and stay in the trading community.

Felisa

Manassas, VA(Zone 7b)

Al & Felisa: Your both are correct about making new friends & in the past I have received value in my trades. But I must have hit a snag in the road lately. I will give you a example I just spent $28.00 shipping out 3 different plants. One was lost & the other 2 people didn't like the plant I sent them. Even though I had corrected my description of the plants. Money is very tight with me & I try to give everyone I trade with a very large quanity of plants I send out & number the amount of trades that I can make. Thus far I have not been reinbursted for my troubles. Jake

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

That's why it's so important to give botanical names when trading seeds and plants. Your offer was for tiger lilies. I'm from the midwest and know what tiger lilys are, and wouldn't want to trade for them. People need to do a google search for botanical names and images, to make sure they are getting what they THINK they are getting. That's not foolproof, because the person offering the plants or seeds could not be truthful, but that's always a risk one takes. It's best not to trade if you can't afford to lose the cost of postage or plants/seeds.

Manassas, VA(Zone 7b)

No problem we all learn by our own mestakes. I guess I will never learn, I just spent $20.00 on the big $550,000,000.00 jackpot even though I said I would not go down that road again.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

To be fair, tiger lilies are not the same as daylilies, at least not where I live. But you are right, Kayjones, botanical names eliminate many misunderstandings. Okyo, I also had a bad experience early on, but since then I've been a lot more selective and specific, and have many wonderful plants in my garden from DGers. Don't give up!

Pam

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.