Fall Colors in California

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I didn't want to encroach upon Bill's thread of fall colors and mine can't really compare anyway. Although autumn has finally arrived in my part of the world, the colors of my Japanese maples are just now starting to change. Here are a few of the early ones.

#1 and #2 are 'Glowing Embers'
#3 and #4 are 'O isami' (not an acer palmatum)
#5 is 'Sharp's Pygmy' just starting to change color.

Edited to add that the pictures didn't upload in the order I thought they would. #1 and 3 are Glowing Embers now and 2 and 4 are the O isami.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2012 2:45 PM

Thumbnail by GardenSox Thumbnail by GardenSox Thumbnail by GardenSox Thumbnail by GardenSox Thumbnail by GardenSox
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't get much fall color on mine at all--the leaves get sort of ratty looking, then they turn brown and fall off (except in the case of 'Shirazz' which holds onto its dead leaves until we either have a big windstorm or I knock them off myself because I'm tired of looking at them)

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

g-sox your glowing embers is completely different from mine, no varigation at all here and really no fall color since i planted it a few years back.

ecrane i end up pulling off the shirraz leaves as well - although it did have good fall color again this year. i will post some pic's tomorrow.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

A couple more have taken on a different color.

1 - Glowing Embers
2 - Otto's Dissectum
3 - Red Dragon

Thumbnail by GardenSox Thumbnail by GardenSox Thumbnail by GardenSox
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

otto looks great!

Ripon, CA

Great pictures Garden Sox. I'm about 75 miles south of you and I've had the best fall color I have ever seen in about 40 years. Incredible !
Here are five I selected.
Aureum
Beni Hoshi
Summer Gold
Shigitatsu sawa
Sango kaku

Thumbnail by pdjcalif Thumbnail by pdjcalif Thumbnail by pdjcalif Thumbnail by pdjcalif Thumbnail by pdjcalif
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

shigitatsu sawa looks great! mine has never been that color

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Here are a couple more. We've had a pretty big storm the last five days so there aren't many leaves left on the trees.

Ryusen and Glowing Embers (again).

Thumbnail by GardenSox Thumbnail by GardenSox
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

my ryusen has not shown any color worth taking a picture of yet.

This message was edited Dec 3, 2012 4:15 PM

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

That's interesting Bill. I wasn't all that amazed by the color in mine either. Perhaps this is one that's grown more for it's unique form than it's colors?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i think you are correct - i do like the leaf shape

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.