Help Please!

Coushatta, LA

I hope there is someone who can help me here find a celosia that my grandma grew over thirty years ago. It had red leaves and burgundy flowers and grew up to two feet tall and wide with a large stem. It was very unlike these modern hybrids. It would selfseed quite a bit but was never a weed. If anyone out there has any ideas please let me know.

Florissant, MO

Hi Cowpea,

Not sure if this is the one you're looking for but there is a celosia called "Red Flame"
One photo of it can be seen at http://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic-seeds-red-flame-celosia.html

Art

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Cowpea, could you be looking for an amaranthus instead? They do have a similar look and they do have some burgandy leaved virarities. They are more rubust than the Celosia and do get bigger.
Alberta Ann

Coushatta, LA

It could be an amaranthus but I don't think so. I have grown them before. It's a pity that all of those nice heirloom cottage garden annuals have passed into oblivion to be replaced by all these overbred hybrids.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Was it the crested type (I think they look like brains:lol:) or the plumed type that sorta look like feathery paint brushes or the spiked type, more of a solid upright display?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.