Gardening myths vs facts

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am signed up for notices on fb from American Meadows and they posted a question about gardening superstitions and I was wondering if you've ever heard of it or others?

"Never say "thank you" when someone gives you a plant or cutting"
supposedly the superstition is if you say 'thank you' it won't grow

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I can't imagine NOT saying tha nk you. To me that's rude.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I KNOW!
Guess you can just say "oh I LOVE it!"

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh, yes, that would work! I will have to see if I can find some myths.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I can say that rolling around naked in poison ivy does NOT kill it.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOL

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

If you say thank you over the plant when you get it, you will be exhaling carbon dioxide, which plants love. Should we submit this to Mythbusters? I don't know if they'd take it up since they couldn't work an explosion in. lol
Martha

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I think its a myth.
Beets and Carrots should be planted on the 4th of july tho.

I think the entire lunar planting stuff is total BS. Shocked at how many still believe it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Some people just cant let the past go.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

My granddad (in New Jersey} always said, plant your peas on or about St. Patrick's Day and your tomatoes on or about his birthday, which was May 9.
My DH {the semi-plant challenged} read somewhere that you can plant your beans when you can sit naked on the ground at midnight. Interesting gardening technique.
Martha

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

hee hee

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I think this one is true...my dad always said "there is no such thing as a green thumb just dirty hands and a sore back"!

Thomaston, CT

True....Jo, I have to plant carrots & beets the last week of April, or the soil will be too warm for them....they like cool temps....

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Customer at farmer's market told my kids that to tell a ladybug's age you count their spots and divide by 2

As a kid I remember it being exactly the number of spots. No math needed.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

If you want great peonies, you have to leave the ants on.
Martha

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I write some garden articles and after doing some research I wrote the following about ants.

"In the Victorian Language of Flowers, the Peony denotes bashfulness and ostentation. I can understand the latter but not the former. There is nothing shy about a Peony, though apparently some believe bashful nymphs hide in its petals. I have seen no nymphs in my blooms, but plenty of bees and ants. The role of the ant in the life cycle of the Peony has been an enduring garden myth. The popular belief is that the copious numbers of ants swarming over the peony flower are actually there to help the buds open by tickling them. This is just plain wrong. The ants are there to imbibe the plant’s tasty nectar and will cause the plant no harm, and the flowers will open just fine with nary any help from the ants."

To rid bringing the ants into the house with cut peonies, just fill a container up with cool water and swish the bloom in it to wash off the ants. Works great, but the ants don't like it much. Patti

Ants wont go across a line of chalk?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Tried the chalk thing, def a myth

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

The bucket of water thing gets most of the ants, but you always get a couple of tenacious ones that can hold their breath longer! Especially if you are rinsing out double ones.
Martha

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I just read this on line at Fine Gardening

Myth 1: Plant their head in the sun and feet in the shade.

Clematis don’t need shaded roots any more than any other plant. Most wholesale nurseries I have visited over the years grow clematis in full sun. It’s their business to grow plants. If they felt it would improve their clematis crop production, wouldn’t you think they would be shading the base of the containers?

Using other plants to cover a clematis’s roots can actually impede the vine’s growth. I nearly choked several of my plants a few years ago by “shading their feet” with bacopa. After that near-fatal experience, I started removing plants from the base of my clematis, and the results have been positive. So if your clematis are not at their best, you might want to eliminate the plants at their base. Being a great companion plant, clematis are socializers, but their roots are loners.

********Does anyone NOT have their clem roots shaded????
I would be very interested in hearing what everyone thinks about this...I have 2 clems that seem to not be doing well and was thinking they were too crowded also

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

If you want to read the whole article
http://www.finegardening.com/design/articles/3-myths-about-clematis.aspx

Thomaston, CT

The clems in my yard that are doing the best are on a trellis, not shaded at all. The next best one is climbing my garden fence, & the roots are shaded.....not intentionally, though. Another one doing well is Silver Moon.....it's planted by the porch where the whole plant is in the shade, but it's a shade-lover.

Shade doesn't matter. Water matters.

Thomaston, CT

I guess that's why one of the clems was the size of a luncheon plate this year.....

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

"Leave them alone - they're more afraid of you than you are of them."

Tell that to my tookus after assault by paper wasps...

I've never seen them afraid of ANYTHING they can poke their stingers into - the tenderer, the better.

Thomaston, CT

Bee got me the other day in the back of the leg.....I wasn't even near the flowers!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

did you try the broadleaf plantain on it?

Whew got eaten alive by mosquitoes, must have been hiding under the table at restaurant we went to

Thomaston, CT

No, I grabbed the benadryl, pill & cream both....that plus ice took the pain away.

Want to test the myth that nude young maidens make the best gardeners.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I can answer that - and used all the standard research methodology...

**Double-blind (two hoods tied over my wife's eyes)

**Control group and changing one variable at a time (blonds, brunettes, redheads, and one bald subject)

**Same as above, with variable being state of origin, country of origin, height, and accent

I can vouch that the results were unerringly the same - I got nothing done.

Barberton, OH

I have 2 Naked Ladies in my front yard.

Thomaston, CT

Really?

I like the hoods...

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hahahaha

Barberton, OH

This is a Naked Lady, AKA Surprise Lily, Lycoris squamigera

Thumbnail by salix_man
Thomaston, CT

They are pretty......read a book recently entitled The Darling Dahlias & The Naked Ladies...good mystery!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.