Papaya T R Hovey

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I bought a plant in early spring, believing it was a dwarf variety. The plant is presently 12 ft tall and I'm wondering if I really have a dwarf. Twelve ft doesn't seem dwarf to me. I started researching the matter and I get the impression there may be a TR Hovey and a dwarf TR Hovey. Can u set me straight?

Also, here it is Nov and my tree is full of fruit, most of them the size of lemons and oranges (small). Will these get to ripen?

Is it customary for foliage to turn brown from the bottom up? or am I doing something wrong?

I really don't want something this tall--I was hoping for a max. height of 6 ft. if you can recommend a variety with good tasting fruit, lemme know.

thanks

This message was edited Nov 15, 2012 1:38 PM

Rawalpindi, Pakistan(Zone 9a)

Don't know much about TR Hovey but do know papayas. 12 feet is adult size and no, it is not a dwarf. It wont grow taller as to fruit, depends on your winter temperatures. Frost or no frost. Leaves do turn yellow that's not much of a problem, time of year and it must be a bit cold. As to the fruits, all is not lost you can use the green papaya to tenderise meat. Wait and see it might ripen but it is not the correct time of the year.
Regards,
Masud.

thank you Masud. I was afraid it was not a dwarf. It remains to be seen whether it will survive our winter. I am in zone 9a, with a mild climate but it is gamble as far as papayas, mangoes, avocados and certain citrus goes.

Rawalpindi, Pakistan(Zone 9a)

Most welcome, if it is against a South facing wall it will survive. Sheltered and South facing the fruit may ripen.
I am also in same zone and the fruit does not ripen in zone 9a. We grow it to tenderise meat, you can dry it in the sun and use it later on.
Regards,
Masud.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hey girlfriend, I had this salad in HI, sans the dried shrimp, and it was YUM.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2010/05/thai_green_papaya_salad

Bon Appetit :-)

hmmmm. it faces S/SW, not sheltered. we shall see. I saw some seeds on ebay for dwarf and the seller had a pic of what the tree would look like, not quite 4 ft and packed w/ fruit. I may wait til next spring before I decide.

I should have mentioned that I was able to eat ONE papaya from my present tree. It was the size of a large orange and it was the most delicious thing. Almost made me forget the size dilemma.

Ardie, how are ya. My computer problems are finally over. After the trojan horse fiasco, I had upstream problems for about two more weeks. I thought I'd go mad. But all is well now.

That salad sounds delish (sans dried shrimp). Bon Appetit brings so many memories. When I first married the practice husband, I was subscribed to BA and would study it like a chemistry manual just so I would produce the perfect, most elaborate meals/desserts. Champagne gelato, anyone? He didn't deserve it, lol, but I learned a thing or two in the kitchen so it's all good as I can treat the FOREVER husband to some nice vittles every now and then.

That

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

ROFLMAO love the "practice husband", what a hoot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.