"Runny" Hot Salsa

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Mexican food experts, please tell me what I'm doing here - I don't know. I'm relying on memories of my mis-spent youth visiting bars in Tijuana (too dangerous now, I think) and the delicious street-vendor tacos there. The "tacos" were carne asada chopped steak from an iron skillet over a wood fire. The meat was put on a fire-toasted soft tortilla, drenched with whichever of two "salsas" you wanted ("You want it hot for a Mejicano or hot for a gringo?") then rolled up in the tortilla. Asking price was a quarter but they'd take a dime.

I've duplicated that "salsa" with good success, in fact I can it in pint jars. My wife calls it my "runny salsa" or "capsaicin soup". I hand-chop, fine, some very hot peppers seeds and all (we have a permanent indoor/outdoor pot of Maui Purple Peppers), some cilantro, and some onion, and boil those for 10 minutes or so in water. I stir that so every jar will get its share of tiny pepper, cilantro, and onion pieces, then spoon it into pint canning jars and boil and seal them. Once opened, a jar stays in the 'fridge until it's used up.

To use this, I stir to get the solids mixed in then dribble it with a spoon over many Mexican dishes, especially carne asada anything. GOOD!

So, how authentic is this kind of salsa - if it is at all? Are there any fine points about it that I'm missing? Thanks.

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!