p.coronarium

ipoh, Malaysia

Like to share some of my Platycerium thats grown from spores. My first post here.

Thumbnail by myherbs
noonamah, Australia

Welcome, and those look really good. They look like bifurcatum. I've only ever grown from spores of superbum. Not really difficult if you look after them and keep up the humidity.

ipoh, Malaysia

Quote from tropicbreeze :
Welcome, and those look really good. They look like bifurcatum. I've only ever grown from spores of superbum. Not really difficult if you look after them and keep up the humidity.

hey tks. They are actually P.Coronarium. My superbums are the slowest growing platycerium of the lot, still only 2" diameter. I think it is bit too hot for them here.

noonamah, Australia

Can you see any differences between coronarium and bifurcatum? Looking at the photos I can't pick the difference. I grew the superbum from spores further south, the climate is milder there. Although I've seen them in tree tops in Madang, PNG, (in town), and they seemed to do well. Recently I got some small plants from a friend but they're struggling here and some have died. We're in the build up season now so it probably wasn't the best time to try. I'm hoping to get a few through to the monsoon and then hopefully they'll manage. Our dry season is a killer for them. I have got a small bifurcatum that I've managed to keep for a few years and it's just only now seems to be coming good. Also recently got a small veichii and hoping it will cope better than the others in the dry.

ipoh, Malaysia

Can you see any differences between coronarium and bifurcatum? Looking at the photos I can't pick the difference. I grew the superbum from spores further south, the climate is milder there. Although I've seen them in tree tops in Madang, PNG, (in town), and they seemed to do well. Recently I got some small plants from a friend but they're struggling here and some have died. We're in the build up season now so it probably wasn't the best time to try. I'm hoping to get a few through to the monsoon and then hopefully they'll manage. Our dry season is a killer for them. I have got a small bifurcatum that I've managed to keep for a few years and it's just only now seems to be coming good. Also recently got a small veichii and hoping it will cope better than the others in the dry.

Yes they are difficult to tell when they are young. When the fertile fronds of the coronarium grow longer then there is a big difference between coronarium and bifurcatum. The plants are about 3 years old. I'll post more pics of young platys in a new thread.

noonamah, Australia

Very interested to see more. I checked coronarium on the Platycerium site. It does look very different when it gets larger, looks fantastic really.

I'd like to get more different Platyceriums but you never see any around here other than the native ones. Some of the others are really great too.

ipoh, Malaysia

I'd like to get more different Platyceriums but you never see any around here other than the native ones. Some of the others are really great too.[/quote]

Check out my friend's platycerium. They are beautiful.

http://foongexotic.multiply.com/

I think the site(multiply) is shutting down on dec. 1st.

noonamah, Australia

He's got some very nice plants there. Where do you get the spores from? I know coronarium is a local for you but I notice you also have elephantotis.

ipoh, Malaysia

He's got some very nice plants there. Where do you get the spores from? I know coronarium is a local for you but I notice you also have elephantotis.

I got them from my Thai friend who grows platycerium. - fernbangkok.com

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.