Wanted: Glass bottles (wine, soda,liquor etc)

Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

Will trade plants or pay postage for empty bottles from wine, liquor, soda, (labels still intact preferred). Please post pics if possible.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Chell, How soon do you need them? If you aren't in a rush I'll start saving for you and will ask friends and neighbors to do the same. Are you looking for clear glass, colored glass, or is either acceptable?

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Hubby has several gallon bottles of wild turkey 101, don't know what he is saving them for. I will ask if he wants to get rid of a few. They are clear.

Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

Fruity, no major rush.... just hoping to do some crafts ith the kids.

Tater, Gallon sized would be awesome! Please find out if Hubby will part with some.

TY ;)

Hubby says you can have some of the gallon bottles, they still have labels. Let me go to the store and find a box for you. Do you want them sent in a flat rate box? I think I can fit two in a large box, or I can find a plain box. Don't know how much postage will be for the plain box? Flat rate will be about $15.00.

What re you doing with them?

LK, just a thought that one of those large size "C" Regional Rate Boxes will hold more volume than a regular Large Flat Rate box, and it would also be more economical to ship since you're both in TX.

I found two empty Blenheim Ginger Ale bottles and have set them aside for you until I have enough to fill a box, Chell. These are 12 ounce bottles and the Blenheim logo is a decal instead of a paper label. Interested?

http://www.blenheimgingerale.com/

I will have to ask about the regional box Fruity, never hear of it.

Go to USPS.com and check them out, LK. Regional boxes come in sizes A, B and C for small, medium and large. Large is very nice.

Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

Taters, the plain box would probably be fine...whichever way costs less.
Not sure quite yet what we'll do with them, getting a bottle cutter soon and we'll use our imaginations depending on the shape of the bottles, LOL.

Just let me know how much postage will be or if you'd like plants in trade.

Tell Hubby I said 'Thanx'
Chell

Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

Fruity,

Those look pretty cool....yes we're interested! Just let me know before you send them if you would like postage or plants in return.

Thank you, Chell

I would love to have a canna or two, maybe the red spider lily, ginger, and or elephant ear if you still have any of these. Thanks!

You and the boys are going to have fun! I'll hold onto the Blenheim bottles for you and will continue to add to the box. No point mailing only two bottles :) Thanks for the plants offer but it's getting a bit late in the year here to receive them.

Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay Taters, plants it is.... I'll start puttng a box of them together for you, probably won't be able to mail it till after T'giving though.

Fruity... remember, I have a greenhouse. I can put some goodies back with yur name on them until Spring.... I have some Red Shrimp plants rooting right now, (you know its tempting, LOL) ...let me know if you want anything I have.

Thanks ladies!
C

This message was edited Nov 17, 2012 12:53 AM

No hurry on shipping.

Hey Chell, I have a box of bottles ready to go to the post office today, you should have them early next week if not sooner!

Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

Awesome! I'll start getting your box of plants together....I'll let you know before I mail it.

Thanks! Chell

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Chell

Do you need more bottles -- we drink alot of wine around here so let me know!

Candi

chellflower, I shipped your bottles fedex, and the delivery confirmation number says they were delivered Saturday. Hope they arrived safely!

Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Taters,

I got the bottles...thanks!
I mailed your box today priority so it should arrive about Wednesday. Conf # 9505 5107 6636 3112 5223 79
Thanks for the trade.
Chell/Chellflower

Thanks for the info, I will let you know when they arrive! Hope you can find a good use for them? We will be waiting for pictures!

Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm sure finding a use for the bottles won't be a problem....cutting them may be. I hope this glass cutter works well...wish me luck!

Lots of luck!

Chell, I got the plants today, thanks so much! One was marked elephant ear, the others are not marked. I think they are cann's? One I don't know, maybe the spider lily?

Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

Linda,

sorry, I was in a rush to box/mail before work. I used pieces of mini blind for labels and placed them in the bags. The only bag that didn't get a label was canna Corsica. Here's what I sent you....

EE mammoth bulb
red spider lily
cannas: red leaf, Wyoming, Corsica

...I think that was all I got in the box. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks for trading!

Thanks, that helps a lot!

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

Chell, i may have some for you... labels still on them. i told a girl at work about wanting to make a bottle tree. even showed her pictures (you know, blue, green, red.. pretty colors). she brought me her bottles... 5 brown and 1 white. ummmm ok "thank you." sigh. not what i had in mind.

i'm not in a rush for plants b/c everything is baking out there right now, but if you could keep me in mind this fall i'd be happy to box these up for you. i'll take a picture for you too. some are unique too--i like them, just not what i was hoping for.

also.... i read about a super neat & easy way to cut bottles. you soak dental floss (not waxed) in acetone (like from Sally's). then you wind it around the bottle at the place you want it "cut" and let it dry. supposedly it will just snap at that place. i've never tried it, but i think you could probably do a bing search for any other details i might have left out. i would do that before i tried cutting glass with anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=sFXngPx3w3M&feature=fvwp

This YouTube video will show you all the different ways to cut bottles, those that work, and those that do not work! All you need us a glass cutter, boiling water and cold water.

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

i like that one, Linda. i may end up getting one of those cutters.
that's actually amazing.

this is the method i had heard about. kinda scary with the flames and the fumes.
one i had watched was outside (which sounds smarter) but it was the first time the girl had ever done it, so it was kinda scary!
http://youtu.be/yHWYjMlYH50

i vote for the first method with the scoring & then slowly adding boiling water.

(i learned something today!!)

Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

We got the Ephram's bottle cutter and used the hot/cold water method. It takes a bit of trial & error (practice, practice!) ...not to mention bottles, LOL but we got the hang of it for the most part. I used to work at a stained glass window shop so am already familiar at working with glass.
The most important part is to be sure to oil the cutting blade (3 in 1 oil will work), as the oil prevents the score line from 'healing' itself. The glass should be heated evenly or will get heat cracks and break away from the score line.
I have an electric glass grinder (from my stained glass days) that I use to smooth the cut edges.

Get lots of practice on junk bottles before trying to cut the special ones. ;)

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I would love to do this.

Thumbnail by plantsforpeg

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.