Dahlia bulbs covered in snow!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We did good today Carolyn! Let's hope we can do it again next Super Bowl Sunday.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I am so proud of you guys. sniff-sniff..... :)

Athens, PA

^_^

Funny, Mary!

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Well, it WAS pretty funny in the reading.... But it really hits me that I need to get out all my 'notes to self' from last summer and fall, as well as my planting guides and such to figure a spring planting calendar. Plus I need to buy the pvc pipe to make the tops for my raised beds so I can start seeds early.

Now I'm working on my dahlia order. Maybe I should say, I'm still working on it! This time it will be very few tall ones but a lot of short border dahlias. It's fun making plans while listening to the wind howl.

Massapequa Park, NY(Zone 7a)

As our thoughts turn to Spring and we spend cold days checking for greatr deals on dahlis I would like to recommend your nearby Dahlia society. Most have very reasonable dahlia tuber sales in April/May/June. Check the American Dahlia Society web site for a list of sale dates. Here on Long Island we have 2 societies and a huge selection of top tubers. Contact me on my email address for further info. sndahlia@cs.com

I would recommend Correlitos, Dan's, Ferncliff gardens (a bit pricy but what quality never had a tuber faliure or a mismark in 15 years. Will post some pictures of the ADS National show in Portland OR. last year. Over 8000 blooms on dispaly and 92 arraingments --stay tuned
Steve

Fort Worth, TX

Do dahlias have to be dug up in North Texas? I notice everyone on this thread is way north of the Mason-Dixon line.

My mom grew them years ago in Michigan and I remember her digging them up in the fall and planting them in the spring. i just bought my first tubers about 2 weeks ago, in the half off bulb section, oooops

What zone would that be?

No problem at all buying them on sale! You'll do fine.

At some point you will have to dig them to divide them. If not this year then next year but you can give away divisions to friends and family. Otherwise they tend to grow themselves to death. I've had it happen when I didn't divide thinking they just loved the way I had treated them - a real Duh moment!

Fort Worth, TX

I'm in zone 8, not sure if it is 8a or 8 b, but fairly far south. So far the on sale has not gone well. Part had fungus, waiting to see what the rest do.

Keep us posted. Many times they can get over problems with the help of the sun.

You won't have to dig but may want to do it to save the ones you love the most.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.