Air Drying Seeds

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I didn't have much luck air drying my own seeds, I got very poor germanation. I set my seeds on the kitchen table for 3 to 5 days under the ceiling fan but not much light all of the time. The seeds I bought I got 90 to 100 per cent to germatate. Should I have set mine outside to air dry. I got only 10 per cent of my seeds to grow. Does anyone have a better way to air dry seeds.
Jerry.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Sounds like you did everything right. Don't know why your germination was poor. Maybe you dried them too long. I don't usually let them dry beyond 3 days.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

let some of them air dry in the pod ,after taking the pod see if it helps, a sometimes maybe?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I usually don't dry them any more if the pod has been open on the scape for awhile.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

True Mike, they have naturally dried on their own.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I tried that to let them dry on there own but when I went to pick them most of the seeds fell out. maybe I could put a bag over them when they are about to split open.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes, a nylon bag is how the pro's do, Only I am believing you knew that most likely. I have a couple made from knee high stockings,I have used them only after he pods start to break open I set them in a bowl till the entire pod has turned mostly brown, by then., most of the seeds have fallen into the bowl, their done.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I usually get about 90% germination.

I harvest my seed, and put them right into paper coin envelopes, with the flap left open. I put them in a little box, and let them stay that way, in the paper envelopes until November. I direct plant them outside, in the ground. They freeze and thaw all winter. Come April and May... almost all come up.

I had a nearly 100% failure the year I dried them, then refrigerated them until spring, then tried to plant them outside.

So, I think it depends on what you do with the seeds after drying, and also when you plant them, and where.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I dry mine and refrigerate until spring and I get really good germination.

(Michele) Cantonment, FL(Zone 8b)

I usually air dry mine in little cups for about 24 hrs then put in envelopes and into the fridge. If they still feel soft I will dry another day. These are the ones I sold and everyone has had good germination as far as I'm aware. The ones I plant I either just plant directly out of the pod or if I'm not ready to plant I may just leave them sitting out most of the time until I do plant. I have just taken them straight from the pod and put in the envelopes and popped them in the fridge with no drying.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

daylily_ohio ; As before I usually dry and plant the ones I get from plants I have , and I am going to try this winter your way with some since ,you are on a straight line and a state half away.
Besides, I don't think anything will stop or keep a daylily from growing when they are healthy!!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm going to try the winter sowing method this year, I think, with ones I've dried and have not refrigerated. The ones in the fridge will get sown outside in April, I'm thinking. Anyhow. We'll see how it works. Don't know how viable they are. The unrefrigerated ones are over a year old now, and the ones in the fridge are probably about 2 years old. Never got a chance to plant any of them. If I get any germination, I will be thrilled. I'm hoping next summer I can get some crosses made. Didn't do any of that this year.

Karen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I did one un-named ,I have two little crosses from a yellow -peach my first since decades ago. I have been planting the seeds for next year during the past couple days even some that had been stored(that I purchased) have germinated. Takes a year or two to know if some things work or not.
The autumn sojourn cross has gotten about 6-7 inches tall in a matter of weeks ,really grew fast,hoping the smaller ones will survive. With me it is not so much plants failing as something is always eating my seedlings outdoors. Drives me crazy !!!
Enjoy your Thanksgiving all!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Good luck with all your seedlings. You have a great Thanksgiving yourself, and same to everyone else here.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.