My Favorite Salvia (today)

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I got some salvias from Rich, this summer..here is one of them..the picture does not do it justice...

Thumbnail by melvatoo
Arlington, TX

What kind is it? Are the leaves a purple color or is that the pic. It's really lovely. Tell me more!
C

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

The name is: Puerta de la Zorra..and yes, the leaves are tinted purple. A lovely plant

Arlington, TX

And it did well in our summers, is it winter hardy. Seed trade? (it's late and my brain and grammer are lacking)
C

London, United Kingdom

I think this is a particularly good form of Salvia mexicana. This is difficult to grow in the UK as it is normally ready to flower just as the first frost occurs, and is too tall to move into a small greenhouse.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I think it is hardy to zone 8...so I think it will do okay. I will collect seed, and I am doing cuttings too.

Thumbnail by melvatoo Thumbnail by melvatoo
Arlington, TX

Did it just start blooming? I don't think I have any Salvia seed but do have some other TX native plant seed.
C

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

It started blooming about a week ago..I have some others that have been blooming a lot longer. You should come and get some cuttings...

Candor, NC

It sets seed pretty well, unless bumblebees get to the flowers. It should come true from seed, unless there are other mexicana forms around. It comes from the state of Hidalgo, between Jacala and Zimapan. The form La Placita was collected just a few miles down off the old PanAmerican Highway

Thumbnail by Rich_dufresne
Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

It is planted with Phyllis Fancy and Hilago...

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Another one of the Lady Fox...and a picture of Hilago, also a shot of Salvia Leucantha 'Phyllis Fancy'

Thumbnail by melvatoo Thumbnail by melvatoo Thumbnail by melvatoo
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Melva -- those are all so pretty. I love salvias.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.