Help Possible disease?

Dudley, United Kingdom

Hi, sorry for the bad quality photo but basically this stuff has starting accumulating on my house plants leaves, they are like white blobs with a brown dot in the middle, theres several of them on the leaf itself, and then further up the leaf and on the steam there are like white pellets too, i know there are some little bugs in the soil, could it be them? i havent ever seen them on the plant though, so it could be a diseases, i dont spray the leaves so i doubt its calcium build up or anything like that, thanks

Thumbnail by Ollie2292
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Your description sounds like some kind of 'scale' little bugs that built a surrounding structure on the leaves or stems in which they reside. You should be able to wipe them off, with a wet cloth or wipe. I have used soapy water to wipe down the leaves of invested plants and successfully gotten rid of them.

Dudley, United Kingdom

do you think if i spray soapy water on the soil, will it kill the bugs? without harming the plant? Iv looked closer at the bugs, there are some tiny brown bugs, literally just like dots, and then there are some almost centipede like white bugs, i think the white matter on the leaves may be something on their part

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Sounds like mealy bugs. Same treatment.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Your pics are a bit out of focus, but the white stuff looks like mealybugs to me too. I would definitely try to wipe them off, either with wet cloth as suggested previously, or a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol will work as well. They can be a little tougher to kill so I think you'll have the best results if you try to wipe/rub them off with something vs just spraying something on top of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.