Natives, ummm, west Texas- southern quarter

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

1 & 2-same plant- a 'wild' salvia?
3 & 4, hmmm- reminds me of tobacco when dead...
5 -one plant, 2 colors, how curious...

any ideas of a better id?

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Jo gave me mullein for pix 3 & 4
These I don't know too- tho number 2 looks like a tumbleweed, and 3 & 4 are a bush
5 is one of 2 types of white flowers, the sun was fierce and I do not have filters on my little digital- so the exposures were a bit too long for that much sun. Thanx guys

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

well, guess no one knows, tho I have found some time to research the last little bright yellow bush is Chrysomnathus pulchellus - or rabbit brush. The salvia I have no clue which var it might be of wild salvia. The rest I am still looking for.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

If the leaves of # 3 & 4 in the first photos are fuzzy then the plant is likely Great Mullein, Verbascum thapsus. Not well versed in Texas flora, but #1&2 could be Salvia azurea.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

The leaves remind me of tobacco, cept fuzzy, they are all over Va too, but seem to be more showy there- they were naturalized I believe, tho. Gonna look at Salvia azurea, suspect you are right...

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Verbascum thapsus has naturalized over all North America. It is native to Eurasia and North Africa. I suspect that it is showier in Texas as the climate is more to its liking even though it grows in Alaska too.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Where I saw the verbascum growing in Va the flowers were a bright lemon yellow and leaves greener- they seem to be more subdued in the limestone caliche dirt I saw those.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Kittriana, I obviously mis-read your post. I am surprised to learn that you have caliche in the Houston area since caliche is generally produced in arid areas. Perhaps I'm assuming that because Houston is humid that it gets ample rain.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ahhh, not your fault- I have a mailbox in n Houston. Drive an 18 wheeler and that covers 48 states at the whim of my dispatchers. All of these wildflowers were in pretty close to 2 different areas in Texas- the I 10 eastbound corridor tween Van Horn, Texas and and just west of San Antonio, Texas. The salvia came from close to Segovia, Tx, but I had seen a few patches for several miles. I apologize for not being more explicit- I had just come from posting on the Texas forum and was tired.

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

Hey Kittriana,
The "bush" in pics 3 &4 of the second set are "Creosote" bush. When it rains they smell sooooooo good. Really a dry desert plant, native to AZ, NM, and western TX.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Had heard of creosote bush, now I know what it is! Thanx!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Kittriana, those blue wildflowers are stunning! I found a photo of Penstemon cyaneus Pennell online that looks similar. I can't tell for sure because the angle of the photos are different. Take a look and see what you think. ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/ID/programs/plant/plant_guides/pg_blue_penstemon.pdf.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

For the blue flower, Salvia, I am not fighting with azurea but you might look at farinacea also. It self sowed for me and I wonder if it is sometimes out in the wild.
Dittoing the Verbascum ID and the leaves are just what you expect under stressful conditions.

Yellow flowers- a Coreopsis of some kind?

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

First set of pics:
Mullein is usually a biennial, I think you are looking at plants from 2 & 3 years before; on their way out now.

Second set of pics:
First little yellow bush looks like what we call snake weed (Gutierrezia). Are these pics recent? both Snakeweed and Rabbitbush bloom late summer to early fall here.

Last picture is a Chenepod/Goosefoot family plant. Like Lambs quarters or Strawberry Blite.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.