What Heater Wattage?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

We're looking for a de-icer for the small pre-formed 135gal fishpond we have in our yard. We'd like to keep the water clear for birds and other wildlife. A stock tank de-icer seems like it would be a good solution for us, especially a submersible model. What wattage de-icer would we need for our pond, considering that, unlike in a stock tank, the water is below ground level and somewhat insulated? I've been browsing several online sources and see there are many models available in varying wattages.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

I wish I could help you. I got one of those big pond heaters for mine...I'll probably be sorry. Someone posted somewhere about a homemade heater with a light bulb of some sort. I'm very curious what kind of response you get. "T" :)

Tiffin, OH(Zone 6a)

If you use a stock pond heater be prepared for a killer electric bill. We used one for three weeks and our bill went up almost $30. Figured over the length of an Ohio winter that was more than we could afford so we made the "lightbulb" heater. Will let you know how it works out- the supplies came to about $20 and cost to run should be no more than the cost of leaving a light on. You do need to plug into a GFCI for safety though. I am the one who responded to Sledder's original request so if you want further info just E mail me. Mwhit

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes you did and I'm probably going to be sorry. DH didn't want to build me the lightbulb heater. He pays the electric bills so maybe next year he will.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I don't use a heater to keep the water open.I keep the pump running with the water hose (outlet) shooting across the water.It keeps the water moving so it doesent freeze.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I think that's what we're going to do, Crestedchik. Right now, we have a fountain head on there to make it sprinkle for the birds (it's like a bird magnet to have trickling water!), but I think the little holes in the sprinkle head will get clogged and I don't want to burn out the pump's motor. I think we'll switch to just the hose once it gets a little colder. Brrrrrrr....But for now, we're enjoying lots of birds! Here's how we have it set up right now: http://davesgarden.com/showthread/132369.html

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

gardenwife, I see you're in Newark, OH..How cold does it get there? I'm in Western PA near Pittsburgh and we can get some pretty good cold spells here. Like I said before I got a big heater for mine,,,but,,,I noticed along my way to work that someone has a pond similar to mine. They take the fancy head off of their pump so there's more water coming out and they never froze once. Even though I have the heater I'm not going to put it in unless I absolutely have to. I figure there's no heaters in nature so...I'm just not a deep as I should be. I have read that it's possible to burn up the pump. That's why I'm taking off my pump head and just letting it go. I guess we'll both see this winter. Stay in touch!! "T" :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.