salt making

Laie, HI

I live next to the ocean. It seems like I should be able to make my own salt. Is it just a matter of putting some sea water in a container in the sun and letting the water evaporate? Any experts out there? Thanks

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I have lived on or near the oceans most of my life - would be concerned about what else is in the water as well as the salt.

Naalehu, HI

Aloha! I live in Hawaii and make my own salt. I gather ocean water from along the coast away from beaches and tidal pools. Once I have it home, I filter it through a coffee filter. Now it needs to be evaporated. I happen to use a wood burning stove to take the chill off the house in the mornings. So a pot of ocean water sits atop the stove. Once most of the water is boiled away, I pour what's left into a bowl shaped lava rock (black baking.pan or cast iron skillet would do). This goes outside into the full sun. Because the wind here carries fine volcanic ash, I set a sheet of old window glass over the brine but use bricks to prop it up above about 2 inches. This keeps the salt water fairly clean and allows the wind to blow away the moisture that is evaporating. Eventually salt crystals start forming in the brine solution. If I need salt right away, I'll use a spoon to fish out chunks of salt. If not, then I'll let it evaporate until its dry.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I'd love to make my own sea salt, but I live much too far from the ocean.

I DO use seaweed in the place of salt in some dishes.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That sounds interesting. What color is your salt?

Laie, HI

Hi sunnybrite.....I am a bit slow in looking back into this website but have just been reading your reply. thanks for the tips.....I think I need to take this up. aloha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.