AV Propagation Question

Homestead, FL(Zone 10a)

Have a question on watering AV leaves for propagation. Should AV leaves that have just been put down be watered with just regular water, fertilized water or a weaker solution of fertilized water? Would like any comments or suggestions on this.
Chiqui

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Just start out with regular water. Keep moist but not wet. You can add very weak fertilized water after they root and start showing babies. You want it weak so it won't burn the tender roots.

Hope this helps :)

Connie

Edited because I can't spell today. Probably can't tomorrow either LOL!!

This message was edited Oct 20, 2012 1:45 PM

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Chiqui, what are you putting them down in?? Does the potting medium have any fertilizer already mixed in??

Connie

Homestead, FL(Zone 10a)

Connie, I use a very light mix with lots of perlite and vermiculite and no fertilizer in the mix. Sorry I didn't answer sooner, I had not seen your post.
Hope everything is growing well for you.
Chiqui

South, TX

I use moist mix and the leaves have lids so they do not dry out. They very rarely need water.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
Homestead, FL(Zone 10a)

Your leaves look great. I have some that are not covered and require watering sometimes. Need to get some more covered containers for the leaves that I have put down. What kind of containers are you using?

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice set up Sally!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well isn't that neat!! Love the way you are rooting them, and it's not expensive either!! that's a double plus. I have to water mine all the time, I love this idea!!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

How long Sally, before You usually have babies popping up?

Williston, ND

spagnum long fibered works great too

South, TX

Took a couple of months and I had plants and they are BIG now. I am happy to have lots of Silk Orchids, Mindi Rose and Sunlit Sugar Plums. Hard to find all of them. Impossible to find Sunlit Sugar Plum. These pictures are not my babies, they are older ones.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms Thumbnail by Sallysblooms Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Very pretty Sally!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Very beautiful!! where do you get the round thing that the leaves are sitting on, that makes them spread out like that. I've seen that under alot of plants, that's neat!!

South, TX

I think I got them at a nursery in Boerne, TX that sells violets. Not sure. Maybe I ordered them. Sorry, I forgot.

Homestead, FL(Zone 10a)

Sally, that Sunlit Sugar Plum sure is a beauty. I have Mindi Rose but still waiting for its first bloom. I actually started using your system of potting leaves in the covered plastic boxes and they are doing really well. It sure cuts down on watering time. I put leaves down about a month ago so no babies yet but all the leaves are looking good. Thanks for sharing your idea and your photos.
Chiqui

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Sally. Do u know what they call those trays that hold up the leaves? I'd like to try to find a couple of them.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I found them. Their cslled leaf rings.

South, TX

Chiqui, glad you are enjoying the covered leaves. I have those boxes and now bigger, tall one for the pots of the "babies." They are BIG babies now, ha. Need to get some pics of my big ones. I need to find the site to show also. You can dial the amount of air you want in the box. Neat.

South, TX

Here is the top. I have taller ones also. And the trays. LOVE them.
http://www.hydroponics.net/i/136636

Homestead, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the link. They seem to have pretty good pricing and have several size domes that are reallly nice. What kind of trays are you using with the domes?

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I know John at Cape Cod violetry sells similar ones also.

South, TX

I think I use these trays with the Mondi tops. If you decide to get those, just check the sizes.

http://www.hydroponics.net/i/241180

This message was edited Feb 2, 2013 9:58 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.