Dilemma

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I want to enter the pictures I took of Morticia, Boston's giant stinky plant that bloomed this summer into the photo contest. I am debating between the tropicals category and the unusual category. I have several good pictures of Morticia from different angles so I suppose I could put her in both. What do you think? No problem at all for entering my dog's picture. Just took the cutest one the other day.
Hmmmm.
Martha

Thomaston, CT

Martha....Enter in both for Morticia, double your chances!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Yeah, Martha. What's to lose by entering in both categories?

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the encouragement. It was a lot of fun going down to our zoo {Franklin Park Zoo, Boston, MA} to see this plant bloom. I went 5 times. There were three others in various leaf states that may be up for blooming in the future. Morticia and Fester will be resting for the next three years or so.
Martha

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I had no idea they took that long to bloom again.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Well I have my photo contest file almost ready to go to enter. I am amazed at all the horticultural stuff I did this past year and, as ever, how many cute dog pictures I have. I am going to need a whole computer for these last one day.
Martha

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Can't wait to see you Morticia pics, Martha! There is a daylily by that name, too. I would love to see that corpse plant in bloom someday. I didn't know they had one blooming at the FPZoo, or I would have gone myself. Hope I can get to see the next one blooming.

Karen

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

lol I did my best to spread the word, Karen. I went 5 times and got on tv. There are sites where you can keep up with the various ones. These came to the Zoo as a donation from a guy in New Hampshire who raises them as a hobby. He was in the news in 2010 for raising the tallest one in the US {I think} and then hauling it down to the local fire station and charging admission to see it to raise funds for the fire department. He actually gave the zoo 5 of them, in various stages of development. Morticia's bloom had been preceded about 8-10 days earlier by Fester. There are three more younger ones in leaf stage.
I will put in an announcement if I hear tell of any more bloom activity, but I don't expect any at the Zoo for at least the next three years. Here's a picture of Morticia that I didn't use in the contest.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Amazing .I know they smell bad but how beautiful.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow! An amazing plan for sure. If I had a really big greenhouse I grow one myself.

Karen

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

As woulkd I.
Martha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.