Heart pine

Coushatta, LA

I'm building a sandhill garden and i was wondering what i could use as centerpiece.I was hiking by my creek when i saw a wonderful giant piece of heart pine that had washed down the creek in a recent flood. It was balanced on sycamore log that had fallen across the creek. It took two hours, pulled muscles and a fourwheeler to get it out of the creek. I think it will make a fine centerpiece for my garden. I plan on collecting more heart pine from my creek to add to my garden. The pics are of the log in my front yard.

Thumbnail by cowpea123 Thumbnail by cowpea123
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

What an interesting idea! I have chopped up a lot of heart pine as kindling for the fire place, but never thought about using it in a bed! :) But then I am not artistic at all. I bet it will look really good!

They sold a very large petrified log at an estate sale a few months back ....... my husband wanted to bid on it to go in one of the beds - but it was huge - not sure how we would have dealt with moving it. As it turned out, we didn't get to go to the auction - so I don't know what it sold for................... :(

Be sure to post pics when you have your bed done!

Genna

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Good find!!! I like to use "found" pieces from the woods in my beds. A friend and I will sometimes go walking in the woods looking for unusual pieces. We have brought back resurrection fern on pieces of dead wood, unusual pieces of wood, thick vine pieces, etc. I have a much smaller piece of a dead tree shaped a lot like the heart pine you have. I have it leaning up against one of my trellises. My husband sometimes thinks I'm crazy!!!LOL

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Love your heart pine. Interesting that I just found this today. We're re-doing several beds and had a good-size Japanese Maple moved. Left a big open spot in the front and the guy who is helping us also removed a couple of other small trees and some large rocks. He suggested putting one of the rocks in one of the front beds as a focal point. The idea is growing on me. Your idea of using this wood is really making me think more about it. Right now this huge rock is sitting on a skid steer in the back yard! I guess it's going in it's new home tomorrow! Charlotte, I guess we're a pair of crazies, lol!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Elaine rocks make great focal points in your garden!!! I would love to have a really large rock for mine. I have several smaller but bigger than what you use in making a border in my beds. Out at Wildwood (my MG) project we have paid big bucks to have some really big rocks brought in to use as focal points in several areas.

Coushatta, LA

One good thing about heart pine is that it does not rot for years and years. It is all natural and can outlast treated wood.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Charlotte, we could probably fix you up! Too bad you're not close. I think we dug up 3 and they are pretty big. I'm only going to use one for sure. Don't know what we'll do with the other 2 yet, but we'll park them somewhere at the edge of the woods until we decide where they can go. I'll try to get a picture this weekend. I think they'll place the one today. We may actually leave one near the Japanese Maple in the back. There is one that is smaller than the others.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

That heart pine will probably outlast all of us!

And Elaine I LOVEEEE big rocks! That is why my beds out in the yard have rock borders.... I just love them! Don't have a really big rock though because that isn't something we could just pick up and move ourselves! :) I want a really large one out by the road at the edge of my drive with our address on it.................. won't happen anytime soon!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Elaine we have plenty of rocks around here!!!! The problem is like what Genna said they are just too big for me to handle. I would have to hire someone to deliver and put it in place. That's what we did out at Wildwood. The ones we got out there are around 4 ft tall.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Yeah, and to have so many rocks - they sure are expensive when you start having someone bring them in. For years I had really wanted rock on my house instead of brick - but the bricklayers charge a lot more to lay stone, and then the stone is a lot more expensive too. I opted for brick............... even then, I was able to buy brick from Mississippi and have it hauled in cheaper than I could get brick from Malvern or Hope (both an hr away!!)...... weird how things work like that .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.