String Gardens

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I've been getting plants ready for winter and have moved several to "String Gardens". The plants all seem to enjoy this new (for me) way to garden. This is a Pitcher plant in a String planter that I created today.

Thumbnail by picabo
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Here is a succulent that I moved in August. It has done well. Hard to say I re-potted, since I took it out of a pot and hung it in a tree. LOL

Thumbnail by picabo
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

real cute.. I have a few tallinsanias that hang from a string.. they seem to like it better than being tied to a hunk of bark

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I am trying some plants over winter that I would have put on the compost pile. Fun to see how they do.

Brady, TX(Zone 8a)

What's the reason for hanging em from strings?

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

well it provides an airy place for them... I hang the tallinsanias because they do better there for me... in nature they might hang from branches down in free flowing air... hanging from my string they get the same exposure.... and they can spin some ...exposing new parts of the plants to sun.. they do fit into spaces to grow.. that as a potted plant they couldn't fit into..
no sitting in water. up freely drainning the cycling from wet to dry is increased..

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Quote from GordonHawk :
well it provides an airy place for them... I hang the tallinsanias because they do better there for me... in nature they might hang from branches down in free flowing air... hanging from my string they get the same exposure.... and they can spin some ...exposing new parts of the plants to sun.. they do fit into spaces to grow.. that as a potted plant they couldn't fit into..
no sitting in water. up freely drainning the cycling from wet to dry is increased..

Well stated, Gordon. May I also add besides the artistic talent of the gardeners that came up with such innovative idea! ;)

Brady, TX(Zone 8a)

I'll have to look thru my plants for likely candidates and pick a spot for hanging 'em. All of my tree limbs are too far from the ground but I do have a couple of those post things that use to have bird feeders and hanging baskets on them. We'll see ...

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've a candidate; a Donkey's Ear/ Kalanchoe gastonis-bonnieri. It'll take some imagination to make it into something eye-catching.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

That should be pretty Kim. I have several similar ones started. It's going to be interesting to see how they over winter. As Gordon said they are so pretty hanging outside, they move with the slightest breeze. Fun to photograph, a different view with every shot.

I walked into the GH a little while ago and thought OH NO something is dead!! I'll never find it. Well I did. Several blooms on the Starfish plant. I was sure it was a dead animal. Poor plant, so pretty, Smells SO Bad!!!!! I'll see if I can get close enough to make a picture. Glad it's spending the winter in the GH and not in the basement. LOL

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

How do you make a string garden? What kind of string? What kind of plants? I have never heard of this but am interested and would like to try it. Luciee {;^)

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from luciee :
How do you make a string garden? What kind of string? What kind of plants? I have never heard of this but am interested and would like to try it. Luciee {;^)

I agree ! I think these are charming and would perhaps like to give it a try too. Hoping for a crash course. Kristi

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

TX_ to reach a high limb with your string.. just tie something small but heavy to the end and throw it over and back down... you might recruit someone from the Little League to do the throwing... they will love the challenge.
well due to an unmet demand for some thoughts on making a string garden.. I'll start it off.. and perhaps I will get some help along the way...
What to grow /hang in your string garden... all the air plants.. like the tallinsanias and some orchids hang in nature.. and need no special treatment..just tie to the string..
in the first and second picture.. Betty had the roots of the plants wrapped with potting soil or moss and then something to hold this root ball together while hanging.. seems like you could hang anything in this manner.. I guess you could hang small pots off the string also.. but perhaps you'd need something to keep the soil in if the wind is heavy outside...
What string to use... ,, in the first picture Betty .. she's used... what looks like nylon string... I use what is refered to as masons string... it's a strong thin nylon string... or you might use fishing line.. it's available in strengths up to about 150 Lbs test.[ I use the heavy stuf for big 20' tall string trellises].so no need to worry about breaking... usually 15 lb test will be fine...and it's pretty clear and unnoticeable..that Betty,,,look closely... she's also decorated her string in the first photo with beads and other ornimentation.. her second photo looks to be a natural hemp..or jute .. these natural materials have a shorter outside life..
Chains ... perhaps sash chain can be used... the plants can be clipped to particular links and won't slide or become undone... but then you'd have to call them chain gardens

This message was edited Nov 21, 2012 11:15 AM

Thanks Gordon ~ sounds like our imagination is the limit. I will ponder what plants I might have (or need) to create one of these. 8 ) Kristi

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

itfor sting to try this metho. Something to look forward to.

Thanks, Gordon. I will have to wait for spring to try this method. Something to look forward to. Luciee {;^)

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi Folks, With some of the larger plants that I know will be heavy, I have used a short piece of small chain with a metal ring or washer on the bottom to hold the chain in the ball. I thread the chain through the soil ball. I leave a link at the top and tie the string on that link. I have used Fishing line to hang and wrap most of them, all I had was the blue. I think I'll try to find some of the dark line for the next one I make.
I have made them two different ways. I have taken the plant out of the pot with soil attached and wrapped with sheet moss then wrapped with nylon or Jute string. I have tried to use a string that moisture won't destroy too quickly. As you wrap the string you can form the root ball into the shape that you like. Add a string to hang and they are finished.
I have also used the twig ball that you can get at most craft stores. I separate the twigs to make an opening large enough to push the roots inside. I add an orchid potting mix. I try to fine one that does not have the small bits of vermiculite in the mix, these tend to work their way through. I wrap these with moss to secure and add the string. I am far from an expert on the secrets to these but I love them. So pretty hanging in the trees in the yard and in the windows and greenhouse. I saw a photo of one and have just made them the way I thought would work.

So far the plants are thriving. I'll find some other pictures that may give you more ideas.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

These were made in early October, the photos were about two weeks later. They are growing well.

The Orchids seem to love this method. I have one hanging in the basement that was almost dead at Lowes. I spent $2.00 and stuck in one of the balls it has sent out two new shoots and the leaves look like they are recovering from the neglect.

Thumbnail by picabo Thumbnail by picabo Thumbnail by picabo

How delightful! Thanks for taking the time to post and find the photos. Very pretty and definitely unique.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.