Sky Vine

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

This gorgeous vine is devouring my eucalyptus tree. I think I will need to cut it back this winter. It has been growing here for about 3 or 4 years.

Thumbnail by PamelaQ Thumbnail by PamelaQ
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I go through the same thing every year, pulling down massive vines from the trees. I let them get hit by frost, then hack them back to the ground.

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Have you lost any trees due to them?

No, but a huge Strawberry Guava shrub is completely covered and weighted to the ground with sky vine - can see broken limbs.

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, I think I'm definitley chopping mine down to the ground too, when frost takes it out again.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I do the same as Kay. This year will have to be careful and it grew over top my house. Don't want to yank off shingles.
It is however, a really beautiful vine.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

We have both the Blue and White. We generally get a frost/freeze that knocks them to the ground. Every year they come back and get to the tops of the trees. I'm sure that if we went thru a winter without a frost or freeze, I'd be wacking them back too. It can kill your tree's if let go too long.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I decided to cut back my sky vine today and it had intertwined with creeping fig that was on house. When I pulled it down off came the paint with it. Now I have speckeled house on one end. Oh well I'm sure creeping fig will grow over it again and then next time when its time to paint I'll cut it all off and then pressure wash.
Happy gardening all.
Bonnie

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

I'm planning on this weekend to cut it down. I'll soon see how difficult this will be... :(

I'm getting ready to cut mine down, too. New shoots are already emerging from the roots.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I wonder if it would overtake my woodland area, here in the desert mountains, it is still hot and dry, so it may not go crazy here. Sure is pretty. We get 4 months of snow off and on, but mostly it is just cold, so maybe it would not be so bad if it dies back in the cold.

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Sure worth a try...

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I would be really concerned about it messing up the eco-system up there in protected Oak forest, if the experiment went a rye. Gosh, rattlers could live in there and it would be scary to go up the hill to our garage. I am rethinking this plant. Is it like Kudzu?

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

In Hawaii it is....

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

If I had concerns, I would not grow it...

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

No, I won't. I could do it at my Desert House, with little issue, I am sure. I could do it between houses on my carport side, but no way in the forest house. Thanks for the comments.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.