October 13th, 2012: Glory of the Snow 'Blue Giant' (Chionodoxa forbesii) by TBGD

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The Bloom of the Day for October 13th, 2012 was Glory of the Snow 'Blue Giant' (Chionodoxa forbesii).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2012-10-13

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Such a welcome sight in spring!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

They look so sweet!

They really are, Kell. I allowed mine to wander in a path and it may be very crowded as time goes by but it's lovely to see each spring and they bloom for a few weeks.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I bet that is a great sight! I would love to meander along one of your garden paths, Pirl!

You're sweet. It's just a ride of a few thousand miles: photos might be easier.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Especially since I hate planes!

I should have said "car ride" since I doubt buses would stop at the restaurants you like!

We haven't gone anywhere by plane since 2006 and I don't miss it.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Now that would be fun riding across country stopping at restaurants all the way.

For lunch today we went to a dive featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Have you seen that show?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/index.html

It would be fun to go across country stopping at all the places Guy Fieri features on his show. Of course I would be dead of a heart attack after a week.

Here is our lunch place today Aunt Mary's on the show. http://www.flavortownusa.com/aunt-marys-cafe.aspx#.UHoso8VZXQI

I had a featured dish from the show. Grilled shrimp and grits with Tabasco gravy topped with Benton's smokey bacon (which I am going to see if I can order online - that good). Goat cheese cream on top of stone ground grits severed with roasted tomato and Tabasco gravy. My first time to have grits. HEAVY!!

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Then we shared a Pain Perdue which is baguettes soaked in whiskey laced custard with white wine fresh fruit compote So good! I was so full though, I could only eat 2 bites. And I really didn't even want to eat those. But it was also featured on the show so I wanted to try it. We had fun. We watch a lot of cooking shows and restaurant shows, always wishing we could sample the food. Today we got to!

Pan Perdue

Thumbnail by Kell

Oh, Yummy! I've never seen any of those shows - I'm not a TV watcher.

The one in the family who loves food shows is my 6 year old grandson, Charlie.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Here we have a show called Check, Please! Bay Area. I love it! Each show has 3 regular show watchers who each pick their favorite restaurant and all go to them and then they all review them. With photos!

Tom watches the cooking shows. I hate to cook, as you know. He is the chef here. I am about to go back to bed and await his making and serving me breakfast. I am so pathetic. PS Pirl. Yesterday I bought a pound of picked Dungeness crab for crab rolls for lunch! Will be thinking of you! Only problem is I had to get hot dog rolls, no center split rolls around here. Tom likes the original bun.

That sounds like great fun. One local place gets horrid reviews but we've loved it for the last 12 years. I know it's sinful but I won't give them any review since I'm afraid they'll develop a waiting line.

Hope you enjoyed breakfast being served! Who wouldn't?

Oh, yum! Center split or the old standard, it's the filling that counts. Last time on Cape Cod I put half the lobster into my lobster bisque and I didn't want the experience to end.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

What kind of food is served by your local place? Our to go place every week, we have standing reservations which makes it so much easier.

Had breakfast by Tom, lunch by Tom and he just served dumplings in a peanut butter sauce. There is a reason I am so fat. We have no dinner food so may go out or may not even eat more. I am actually full.

Wish I had some lobster bisque! With extra lobster!

It's basically Italian but they also have the very best Eggplant Rollatini I've ever had and some fantastic salads. The view of the water is so relaxing. They do not take reservations unless it's a large party.

Lucky you!

Oh, so good!

Pepi's has all their ducks in a row!

When I typed in "Pepi's", Google reported I have 209 photos in 9 albums. We do love the place and it can't be five minutes away.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Sounds wonderful! The pictures are hunger inspiring! LOL YUM! That fish looks the best. What do they call it? 5 minutes away and being on the water make it perfect. You are so lucky!

We have been having a lot of Italian lately. I love it. Though we have not found our own Pepi yet! Poor us!

I really can't recall so that must mean we have to go back soon. Lately we've been on a kick for another spot, maybe two minutes away but not on the water. They do have great food and excellent service but it's not Pepi's.

In photo #4 is my husband, Jack, my son, Kevin, and his then girlfriend, Tina. I still love her.

Photo #5 shows a bit of the small inside restaurant but we prefer the covered deck.

The system is having a problem loading the fourth photo, sorry. Edited to say the file did load, happily!

This message was edited Oct 14, 2012 10:35 PM

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Looks like a great place! I love eating by the ocean. I have always lived by the water my whole life. Isn't it so annoying that you can't go from picture to picture when viewing them. But instead you have to go back to the thread then click on next photo. And you know they can do it for they finally fixed PFs to go from photo directly to next photo.

Your son is not married? Too handsome not to be married. Looks like such a nice family! Aren't sons so special? I know you have a great daughter too from your postings. Lucky you!

It's on Southold Bay, not the ocean. Around here we have the choice of the Long Island Sound side (very few restaurants and I don't know why unless it's the zoning or the price of real estate) or the bay side - a few restaurants but not as many as I'd like.

I just Googled Pepi's and the mileage from our house - 2.3 miles, 4 minutes!

We can go from photo to photo! Just bring up any photo and look to the right "next photo". It works!

He's never been married or engaged. He and Tina were together seven years and she will always be part of our lives. Now he's smitten with Rowena, a registered nurse at Mount Sinai Hospital on Madison Avenue in NYC, where he had his heart surgery in June. They're already looking for an apartment and (hopefully) wedding rings. I'm very fortunate to have two great kids.

Thumbnail by pirl
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I hope Tina's heart is not broken! 7 years is a long time. He must be quite the guy to woo his nurse while a patient. LOL

You could walk to that restaurant and then eat a lot and not gain an ounce! LOL

Tina is a survivor. She was in a car crash when she was 16 (she was not the driver) and was hospitalized for almost an entire year. She wasn't even expected to survive for a long time.

It's funny but Rowena wasn't his nurse. He just met her on the floor after the surgery.

Thanks! I may try it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.