Clump Shots 2012 #2

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I thought it was about time we had a new thread for our clump shots. Anyone can contribute. I know the season is over for most of us, but I'm sure there are some of you who have not had a chance to post this year's clump shots, or have only had time to post just a few of them.Please share, and enjoy mine, too.

Let's post only clump shots here, no twins and triplets, as I'm going to start a separate thread for those.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1260460/

THY TRUE LOVE
SPINDAZZLE
LOST VALLEY
PIRATE BRIDE
ANNIE WELCH

Karen

This message was edited Oct 11, 2012 8:37 PM

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the new thread Karen! Wow - your Mom sure had some nice seedlings! So nice that you have them still.

Well, and I need owe Garden Glory an apology, because today when I was walking around checking my beds and watering my plants in pots, etc. I noticed that FINALLY some of the bermuda has died that I sprayed several weeks ago. The reason I say that is because it is brown and the other bermuda next to it is still green. It has taken a LOT longer this time than it usually does to affect its appearance, but I assume it is because of the time of year it is. But, I was excited to see that it did kill part of the bermuda in my big bed, so once I get to it, I should have pretty good results at getting it out, and hopefully if I miss some roots the RU will have wiped it out anyway! That is a BIG bed, and there are several parts of it that I can't spray with RU because of all the plants in there. But the RU was able to make a definite dent in it. I was also in the process of trying to kill all the bermuda around that bed that is growing in my gravel circle around the bed...... but I ran out. I did about a foot outside the bed sprayed and it is brown now too - but didn't get all the gravel sprayed, but I think at this point, I will wait til Spring to spray the rest of the bermuda that is in the gravel. My goal is to get them under control as much as possible this fall, and then use the sponge brush method next spring to spot control what I need to in the beds - I figure using the sponge brush will be slower, but will allow a lot of control and allow you to get right up next to the plants I want to keep!

Karen, that Spindazzle is nice and I like the color of that Lost Valley too. I sure hope next year I have some nice clumps to take some pictures of!

Genna

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Genna! Both SPINDAZZLE and LOST VALLEY are great increasers for me, LV even more so. LV was hybridized by Wild, who registered lots and lots of daylilies.

Oh, that's good news on that grass getting killed by the RU. I should try that sponge brush method with the quack grass that I have here, and the nut grass, too. That would work with a lot of stuff. One thing I might try is using the Atlas nitrile gloves with a couple of latex gloves over them, and dip fingers in RU and rub onto any invasive weeds where I need to be more careful about getting around my daylilies and other perennials.

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen, nice clump shots. Pastures Of Pleasure stand out.
Genna, keep chugging away. You can't give up now!! Mike

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Mike. I'm not entirely fond of POP. It's nice, but not a favorite. I'll probably be selling it off.

Karen

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Yeah, well, I don't know if it effectively killed it all, but it has least made a dent in it! Anything to give me a heads up.
Karen, that might just work with the latex gloves............not sure, but I don't see why it wouldn't. You could even use the concentrate straight with a brush, BUT, I would suggest latex gloves or something to keep it from being absorbed into your skin because at full concentration it could cause some problems. I am definitely planning to try the sponge brush method on my trumpet vine in the spring. The leaves are so scattered on it - it is hard to spray them effectively. I sprayed over half my fence row, and although i made a few of them "sick" I didn't kill any of them! I think I will try just brushing it on straight..........on that, and on the bamboo that is invading my son's yard from neighbor's !! :)

I like that Pastures of Pleasure too. Nice color.

Mike, not too worry.... I am too hard headed to quit when I am making at least some progress! I have BIG hopes for tomorrow....now if it just doesn't rain out my Saturday!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I got POP as a gift plant from morning_star on the LA.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Genna, I would try the poison ivy and tough brush killer on the trumpet vine. The regular RU probably wouldn't phaze it much.

If anyone wants some POP for the cost of postage, I could send you guys some. Just d-mail me your address.

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

My late mother's seedling that I've named CRANVIEW ORANGE CRUSH.
Another of Mom's that I just call DL8.
An early NOID
STELLA'S RUFFLED FINGERS
Hemerocallis fulva (ditch lilies) and rose campion.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

DL8 again, 4 shots. This is actually about 3 or 4 large clumps, and they really look great when they're in full bloom.
Another of Mom's that I've named MOM'S YELLOW PINWHEEL. You can see it in the bg of pics #3 & #4.

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

ORANGE PRELUDE
NOID. Really like this one. Wish I knew the name.
2 shots of another of Mom's that I've named CRANVIEW TANGERINE RUFFLES.
TWIST AND SHOUT

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Another of Mom's that I've named PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS.

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

There I go again, hitting the button before I can load anymore pics. Oops!

Another of Mom's, a small flowered short one called CRANVIEW MOVIE THEATER BUTTER.
WHIKERBILL
Mom's CRANVIEW POCAHONTAS.
TIN SOLDIER
WITCH STITCHERY

Karen

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Karen, I would be interested in the Pastures of Pleasure.... like i need another DL to pot up! But, I am SOOO excited, I got the border up on half of my foundation planting this weekend! Unfortunately this border is only 3" wide - I was really disappointed when I actually measured it - because I had thought SURELY it would be at least 4". I suggested (nicely) that we use it elsewhere and purchase some of the wider stuff - but my husband didn't like that idea. So, we went ahead and installed it. I will see how it does, and if necessary, I will replace it in a year or two. We hauled some mushroom compost and potting soil to try to amend the soil on one end of the foundation bed - it has a lot of sand in that area - actually washed sand that was from when they laid the blocks and bricks when we built the house. It is pretty hard to amend and although we added 22 - 40lb bags, we didn't really modify it. :( I plan to add some more to it as soon as i can get some more and then hopefully will be able to put several DLs in that area. The area is 25' X 25' approximately - it only has 3 crepe myrtles in it right now, so I hope to add several other plants in the area.

Didn't get quite finished with my smaller bed, but I made a much larger dent in it last night ...... it is actually 8' X 14', but I am almost done with it. I just skipped to the larger area and got that edging up while my son was home from college to help me some. He couldn't help me a lot because he is in quite a bit of pain with his gall bladder...... but he was able to help some and that made a big difference in dealing with the metal edging and getting the curves like I wanted them. Can't wait to get the rest of the plants and mulch in place! This month has been 9 years since we moved into the new house - it will finally begin to look complete with a foundation planting and border in place! ^_^

I hope to finish that small bed this afternoon with a little luck!! I am ALMOST done.........

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Genna, that sounds great! You must post pics of the finished project. Even before and during pics would be nice to see. Would love the see the progress. I sent you a d-mail.

Karen

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Finished the small bed - got all the bermuda cleaned out (well at least I HOPE I got it all!)..... and now I have room to put a couple of DLs in there and I am going to put some cannas in the far back corner. Then mulch the bed and it will be done! I also hope to put some wide edging in place before putting the mulch down to try to keep the grass from coming thru the fence and into the bed. I don't think I took any before pics - it was BAD and I would have been totally embarrassed to have posted them...... but I will look on my phone and see. Haven't taken a finished pic yet either - wanted to get my plants in place and get the mulch down first. Hopefully, that will take place this afternoon IF I can get the edging in place.

It is a small accomplishment, but it something I see EVERY day on my way in and out of the house - so at least it is encouragment to keep plugging away! My son went to the mailbox over the weekend and was close to the bed that is way away from the house and around the light pole.... he came back with the mail and said "Mom, that bed really needs some help down there!" (as I was fighting bermuda in one bed!) I told him I knew that but i was fighting one fire at a time, and unfortunately it would probably be spring before I get to fight that one! ^_^

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL! (about your son's comment and yours back to him). Too funny.

Glad you're making good progress. I like to show before pics so people can see how much work I got done. LOL! I know the before pics really look a mess, though. Sometimes I get going on cleaning up a bed and forget to take any before pics. Then I kick myself for not doing it.

Karen

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Karen, I have 2 similar daylilys to that NOID of your mothers in the picture with the Orange Prelude. EYE CATCHING looks very similar as well as CANADIAN BORDER PATROL. Possily one of their children?

Linda

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Are you talking about this one, Linda? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9303635&extraimg=0

That one is actually a NOID, not one of my mother's seedlings. I sure wish I knew the name. If I could find my old notebook where I listed all the daylilies I have gotten, then I might be able to figure that out. I don't know what I could have done with it.

Karen

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Karen....yes, that is the one I was looking at. The NOID.

Linda

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

That one might have been a bonus plant that I got from someone, hence the reason I can't figure out which one it is.

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Here are more clump shots from this past summer.

The first four shots are of my late mother's unregistered seedling CRANVIEW TANGERINE RUFFLES.
LAVENDER DEW.

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

ALL FIRED UP
PINK EMBERS
Bright orange seedling purchased on eBay several years ago.
BULL DURHAM
MY GIRL

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Mom's PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS (unregistered)
Orange-red with bright red eye NOID. Just love this one!
Two shots of BIG SPENDER. This one is an excellent performer. I have it in dappled shade, and it still performs well.
CHICAGO ARNIE'S CHOICE

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

EMPEROR BUTTERFLY
DOUBLE OLD IVORY
Two shots of BONEY MARONEY
PAINTED PEACH

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

TOUCH OF CLASS
CLARE RICHARDS
ZAGORA
PRESTOR JOHN
BROCADED GOWN

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

DARK STAR
WITCH STITCHERY
NINA WINEGAR (yellow) and PANSY FACE.
PANSY FACE
SAHIB

Karen

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow, Double Old Ivory looks super in your garden. I just acquired it last summer so I hope it makes a nice clump like yours!!!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks! It really is a good performer, and multiplies well in my garden.

Here are some more pics.

FIREBORN
One of Mom's seedlings, a nice bicolor that really stands out.
HANDSOME ROSS CARTER
'nother nice shot of PAINTED PEACH with AGA KHAN (left) and STARMAN'S QUEST in the bg.
NACOGDOCHES BING CHERRY

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

ZAGORA and PERSIAN MARKET
Near white seedling of Mom's.
WILD ONE
PROMISES PROMISES
'nother shot of the bicolor seedling of Mom's. It's definitely a keeper.

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Two shots of MOONLESS NIGHT
'nother shot of CLARE RICHARDS
TIN SOLDIER agin'
'nother nice shot of Mom's unregistered PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

MINI MIGHT
HANDSOME ROSS CARTER agin' with little bitty WITCH'S WINK below it.

Seedling purchased on the LA (SHIBUI SPLENDOR X DESERT ICICLE) with Mom's PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS.

Yet another shot of PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS.

DRIVING ME WILD

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

ROCKET BOOSTER
HEAP GOOD
MOKAN BUTTERFLY
CARPENTER SHAVINGS
WILD WOMAN

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

My mother's unregistered CRANVIEW FAIR TIME
NOID that I really like, kind of a salmon color with a light apricot throat. Looks like a Munson cultivar.
Here's a single shot of that NOID. Hoping maybe someone can ID it. I know that's difficult to do with many of them.
BLACK KNIGHT
'nother shot of the bright orange seedling from eBay.

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

3 shots of MOJAVE SUNSET. IDK what the red spidery one is. 'Nother NOID.
MATT
'Nother of Mom's unregistered CRANVIEW PANTS ON FIRE.

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

SHERRY LANE CARR
3 shots of HAMLET, an excellent performer in my gardens, and very vigorous.

Yet another shot of Mom's bicolor seedling. Need a name for this one. How about "THERE'S WALKERS IN THE BARN AND LORI'S PREGNANT" (a quote from The Walking Dead, for those who don't watch the show).

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

3 shot of one of Mom's (PARDON ME X Unknown) seedlings. I think I'll call this one BLOOD SPLATTER ANALYST.
2 shots of MARY TODD

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Couple shots of ZAGORA
INDIAN GIVER
TWIST AND SHOUT
FRESH START

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen, they are all lovely. I got Sherry Lane Carr late this season based on the good things I have red about her all over the net. I see that white sdlg of mom's polying. Nice! Mike

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful pictures! Love the Sherry Lane Carr and the Indian Giver .... and several others! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.