CLOSED: Thanksgiving & Christmas Holiday Swap 2012

(Zone 7a)

***THIS SWAP IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW PARTICIPANTS***

This is an interest thread... I’m hoping many will sign up…Gardener’s Love Surprises! If enough of us are interested it will then become the Sign up thread too. And I will just keep it open :-)

Thanksgiving & Christmas are my favorite Holidays of the Year and so close together. Thanksgiving dinner is the time to pull out your recipes that you only make once a year! Ha ha. Shortly after that we're pulling putting up the Christmas Tree. Collecting Christmas ornaments has been a love of mine for a long time. Every year when we decorate the tree… I remember all the people who gifted me with unique ornaments.

Fall & Winter will come and many of our gardens will be covered in Snow by December 25th. Let's spread the Love of Thanksgiving & Christmas Joy, and Spring Flowers to come.

** Each person will send to their swap buddy 3 Items (gifts):

1. A Pot Holder or Oven Mitten (new) and Something Edible. It can be anything you would like to send that’s not easily perishable (chocolate, cheese, fudge…etc).

2. A Christmas Ornament -- It cannot be valued for more than $20.00. Please do not send a dollar store ornament. It can be handmade if you're creative in this area.

3. Five (5) packs of seeds -- Which you have personally harvested from your own garden 2012 (or can be purchased 2012 if you haven’t harvest any seeds). You can put them in a tiny box with a ribbon, dress them up fancy, or whatever you like to do. But the seeds should be labeled with the botanical name.

Since Christmas & Thanksgiving is a very busy time of the year for most...shopping, cooking, family, friends, and such. Not to mention the mail is Slow in December and 2 weeks before Christmas. You will mail your package no later than November 17th.

I will close this thread to New participants on November 7th. You will receive your buddy on November 8th.

Feel free to post if you like Angels, Sleds, Snowflakes, Glass ornaments, or what type of seeds you like. I Love Angels, Frosty the Snowman & Showy annuals :-)

This message was edited Nov 8, 2012 4:00 PM

Thumbnail by Kim_M
Cutlerville, MI

I am definately in! Thanksgiving and Christmas are my favorite too! I love doing all sorts of crafts and cooking, and obviously gardening of all kinds. So this ounds awesome!

(Zone 7a)

Great! I'll put you as first interested...signed up.

Saginaw, MI

Think this would be a great idea & would like to be in if it goes! THANKS

(Zone 7a)

Okkk great! I'll start putting names up and if we get at least 7 swap buddies it's a go :-)

Holly Springs, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm #4
My family no longer gifts, so this swap will provide me an outlet for my gift-choosing holiday spirit! I prefer non-Christian themes please.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2012 10:54 PM

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I would like to join I decorate in old fashioned bright red and green with sanrtas and snowmen. Love hand made things, love candy cookies, just about anything that goes red and green. I decorate the entire house, every room and when I get my spare room done in antiques it will stay decorated for Christmas year round....

This message was edited Oct 30, 2012 9:36 AM

(Zone 7a)

I love that kind of stuff! Last year someone here painted me some handmade ornaments. They are so cute!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'm in and I love angels, and crosses and anything musical.

Sue G

(Zone 7a)

Great! Gotcha...I will be requesting info soon if more people sign up:-) Like address etc..

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Kim, sign me up! I'll D-mail my info to you.

I collect a lot of stuff including Coca-Cola, Primitives, Candles, Snowmen, Santas, Snowflakes, Christmas Ornaments, and all sorts of glass. My fav colors are Green, Burgundy and Gold. Also really dig Paisleys. Don't do Angels and cannot eat Fruitcake or Chocolate Covered Cherries.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8354406

This message was edited Oct 26, 2012 7:02 PM

(Zone 7a)

Ok Great!

Hopefully everbody's DG Want List is current. I know I will be looking at my buddies list...they might be surprised with seeds of a plant wanted :-)

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Oct 28, 2012 8:44 AM

(Zone 7a)

Ok good! I'll start collecting names and addresses now. If you haven't already Dmailed your info please do so :-)

Thanks!

(Zone 7a)

Things I Love...hmmmm

Angels, Crosses, Winter scenes, Frosty the Snowman, Chocolate, Nuts, Cookies, Cheeses, and Showy annuals :-)

Holly Springs, NC(Zone 7b)

Oops! I just realized that I had not yet piped up about my preferences. While I do enjoy christmas decorations, I am not religious so I prefer to skip themes that center around crosses or the nativity. I adore handmade items, and prefer heirloom seeds as I like to collect seeds that will grow "true".

(Zone 7a)

I love heirloom seeds too! I've been fortunate though...I have seeds of plants that set seeds (possible hybrids) and they have come true :-). But I'm still a softy for those heirloom type plants.

Saginaw, MI

Hi everyone! Guess I should list a few preferences also:)
Like blue & white snowmen
crystal ornaments
"easy" to grow perennials(nothing invasive please)
fudge
smoked cheese
kitchen towels(any design) with "loop" to hang on front of oven door!!

(Zone 7a)

Ohhhh I like those kind too! I have many of those towels with crochet tops with hoops in my kitchen. I found the perfect ornament for my buddy and as far as seeds... I'll be looking at the want list with a few surprises :-)

(Zone 7a)

Several participants have sent me an address and email...Thanks. If you haven't... I already have it from a swap or trade. Please let me know if there has been any changes.

Thanks!

Fort Myers, FL

Hi! I'm a newly subscribed member, and participating in this kind of stuff is part of why I joined. Sign me up, please! I prefer non-religious decorations and vegetarian food items.

Kim, I think I D-mailed my info to you. If not, give me a shout.
Seeds...now that you mention it, not many seeds aren't on my wants or haves. Will try to update in time.

Hi Emily!

(Zone 7a)

Sue...Yup I got it :-)

Hi Emily and Thanks for joining!

Our Shirley was too modest to list her birthday, but it was today. Hope it was a good one, Girl, and many more :)

Can't wait to get my bud's name and be able to personalize gifts according to her likes.

CheerMom / Sue, since you mentioned anything musical it sounds like you might collect snowglobes...?

Saginaw, MI

Well, THANK YOU Susan!! Worked all day and then came home to cake & ice cream! Hubby & kids got me a new fiberglass handle shovel, hand trowel, & garden claw & a great smelling candle(red apple)(love my candles!) Guess they know what I'll be doing in the spring!!!! And, I know, I can't wait to find out who my partner is also!! Have several ideas "floating" around in my head but need to wait to see my partners likes/dislikes to see if my ideas will fit in that plan!!!! Everyone have a great day today -- off to Christmas town all day again today for me! What a mad house that town is this time of year!! Shirley

Cutlerville, MI

Hi Everyone!
Here are some of my likes.....anything to do with the true meaning of Christmas. (Jesus's birth), I love snowmen, and Santa...oh who am I kidding..I love anything Christmas! I love strong chesses, smoked are awesome, I LOVE fudge, and anything rustic, old, antique like.

(Zone 7a)

Christmas Town??!!!! What's that? sounds like fun and my kind of place...
Happy Belated Birthday!

I love anything Christmas too Alicia...and FOOD! Ha ha

Top of the day, ya'll!

ooooooh Shirley, Did you go to Frankenmuth?

Saginaw, MI

Hello everyone,
Kim & Susan -- yup Frankenmuth it is!! Worlds largest Christmas store(Bronners) just happens to be where I work(for the season anyway!) and it is getting ridiculously crazy out there already!! Get to "enjoy" the madness for a whole 12 hours tomorrow!! Like a crazy person I pick up all the hours I can as it is only a seasonal job. Really great place to work for but absolutely jam packed the closer it gets to Christmas!!

Thanks for the birthday wish Kim!

Have a great weekend everyone while I "enjoy" the madness in Christmas town for the weekend!!!LOL

Shirley

Shirley, And here I thought you were just going shopping for the day. Geez, 12-hour days are a long time with several weeks to go til Christmas. My hat's off to you! Like a kid in a candy store I'd be. The store displays must be utterly fantastic.

(Zone 7a)

I've never heard of that store..I would be in Christmas Bliss! I love the decorations and displays...

Probably the second worst place for me to work other than a greenhouse would be a Christmas store. OMG...
Excited about getting our names...

Saginaw, MI

Working at Bronners is exciting at first but then you realize really quickly that you are there to "earn" a paycheck NOT to "spend" it!!!!! And , ooohhh Hap you are so correct--working at a greenhouse would be impossible to work at and still have a paycheck at the end of the week!!!!

This message was edited Nov 4, 2012 10:26 AM

In SC, my Mom and I used to love going to a store called Garden Ridge. The closest stores now are near the Coast or in NC. Probably a good thing.

Blackshear, GA

ooo, we have those here...well, not here, blackshear, but an hour away.

Any major retailer, other than Wallyworld, is an hour or better in either direction from here. Got a call from my SIL who confirmed she'll fly from Fort Worth in mid-December for an early Christmas with her Mom and we'll have our dinner here. She and I are planning to spend a day at the Taubman Museum in Roanoke to see the exhibition of Fabergé objects. They have been on display since May but hubs isn't into artsy stuff and I am chomping at the bit to go, knowing how much SIL will love it too. I think most everybody's familiar with fabulous Fabergé eggs but there is so much more.

From the museum's website:

The Taubman is proud to present the first major exhibition of Fabergé objects to be shown in western Virginia. Featuring more than 100 objects made by the renowned House of Fabergé, led by Russian artist-jeweler Peter Carl Fabergé (1846–1920), all works are from the Hodges Family Collection, assembled by American collector Daniel L. Hodges. Objects range from photograph frames, tableware, desk accessories, boxes, clocks, and jewelry to cigarette cases and smoking accessories. All of the works illustrate the consummate skill of the House of Fabergé and its inimitable use of precious and semi-precious materials to create luxury objects of the highest order.

Going to see the Fabergé exhibit should be beautiful, and so much fun with your DSIL, course I would be terrified going to see all that stuff, I would have to leave my purse, coat, ruffle clothes, long sleeves, dangle jewelery, ah heck I would have to go in my birthday suit afraid I would catch something on something and cause all the displays to go crashing to the ground! Well I guess that could be a way to have the exhibit to myself....rofl.

(Zone 7a)

If you see this thread marked closed... Pay it no mind. I check the post on my iPhone and then next thing I know is the thread is closed. I must be touching a link when scrolling.

The museum sound like a place I would like...I love exhibits.

This message was edited Nov 7, 2012 11:54 AM

(Zone 7a)

Yesterday was the last day for new sign-ups. So I will be dmailing everyone's buddy today :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.