Epidendrum tridens

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Anybody have any info on the this plant? I have looked and find conflicting info. Some say shade only, some say bright light. I picked up this bare root at a recent show and to make a long story short, did not get any idea about light, watering, etc.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I do not have E. tridens but I see it comes from Jamaica and Puerto Rico at an elevation of 1000 to 1500 feet. Try to duplicate those conditions if you can. I'm thinking tropical with a good breeze.

Jim

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ted, did you see this? There are a bunch of synonyms you could check. http://www.orchidspecies.com/epitridens.htm

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

E. tridens has a huge range and is very adaptable. It grows anywhere from fields to high up in trees. When an orchid has an extensive range it usually indicates it is tolerant of varying conditions. That is how it adapted to such a range. I'd think the shady location would be preferable for the more tropical and heat intensive exposures, especially if you do not have rigorous air flow like the Caribbean islands. I usually put unknowns in medium strong light and move them up or down as needed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.