need help

Durban, South Africa

I'm new to Daves garden so I'm still getting used do how things work,so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post a question. I'm moving soon and I'll be leaving a few of my prized plants behind. I have a huge crape myrtle(pride of india) over 4m tall. And I'd like to know if there is any way to propagate these beautiful plants that's easy enough for ur average teenager. Any help is welcomed. I also live in a tropical zone with plenty year round rain.
Thanx

mulege, Mexico

You might try posting this question in the Propogation Forum. Good luck. kb

noonamah, Australia

Here's a couple of websites that explain how to propagate Crepe Myrtle.

www.gardeningknowhow.com/trees-shrubs/how-to-propagate-crepe-myrtle-trees.htm

www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2207962.htm

By the way, Durban is close to the same latitude as Sydney or Perth, that's unfortunately a long way from the tropics.

Durban, South Africa

Actualy the climate where I live is pretty humid we get plenty of rain mild monsoons if u like so I'd say its pretty tropical plus there's coconut palms all over the place. Myb I'm geographically incorrect but I was just using tropic to describe the climate. And we have virtually no winter. Thanx for the websites much appreciated

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Sounds like the tropics to me!

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Wikipedia describes Durban's climate as "subtropical" and so it is most likely in the climate ecozone known as "neotropical". I live in the neotropics too.

noonamah, Australia

Just looking at the top of the Tropical Zone Gardening Discussion Forum page here on DG:

"The tropics are a region centered on the equator and bordered by the Tropic of Cancer in the Northern hemisphere and the Tropic of Capricorn in the Southern hemisphere."

There are plenty of other sources that give much the same definition.

Vitrsna, you've misunderstood the meaning of "neotropical ecozone". It's not a climatic descriptor, it relates to biodiversity. Durban is in no way anywhere near the "neotropical ecozone".

Durban, South Africa

The warm Mozambique current flows past durban and conifers battle to grow here. Like I said tropical palms and plants love it here and it is literally green all year round. Plus there's never any frost or snow and palms don't suffer with their tips drying out. and it rains constantly through out the year. Maybe my climates not tropical but its al least sub tropical also banana plantations here.

noonamah, Australia

That's right, and that's why Durban has the ideal climate for a wide variety of plants. You'd do really well with a lot of different orchids there.

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Hi Brandon...FYI, of the 8 terrestrial ecozones on this planet, Durban finds itself in the Afrotropic ecozone. Do you have coconut plantations there as well?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.